Hale Scout Reservation Comments?

• 3 weeks later...

When I was on the PLC of my first troop in Oklahoma, before moving to Texas, I recommended that we switch from our council camp to Tom Hale. We had been having some issues with our council camp, so we decided to give it a shot.

This was around 1998 or so, it was great. I moved the next year, but I know that the troop has never been to another camp since. So this summer will be 11 straight after making the switch.

Sorry, I cannot give you too much in terms of sites, humidity, etc..., but I think your kids will have a great time.

Edited by RememberSchiff
whitespace removal

I was the ASM in charge of assisting the PLC plan our troops trip to Camp Hale during the summer of 2007.

I must say the boys universally loved it. The adults thought it was very well organized; the Hale staff were very responsive to last minute MB changes, and the camp director (who's name escapes me) seemed genuinely interested in feedback (positive or negative) and in ways to improve his program.

Get ready to walk some hills, especially if you're in the back area campsites (as a large troop, the only campsite that could accommodate our 40 Scouts and 20 adults was located about as far away from the dining hall and MB areas as possible).

Some things to note: dining hall is air conditioned; the adult & staff area has Internet access, albeit kinda slow at times (I don't usually worry about such things, but it happened the week I was gone was a critical week at work and they needed me to check my email periodically).

I took mosquito netting, but when we went (late July) bugs didn't seem to be a major problem. We did have an ASM get bit by a small snake, that required he be taken to a hospital the day before we were scheduled to return home, but he turned out OK.

There is one electrical outlet per campsite (not per pad); in our case, our SM claimed it. All in all, I thought it was a great experience and would highly recommend it.

Edited by RememberSchiff
whitespace removal
  • 10 years later...

A January 1931 Daily Oklahoman article entitled, “Kingdom for Boys” shared, “Robbers Cave, where bandits once hid between raids upon pioneers’ settlements, ranches, homes, farms and town communities, is now a mecca for a new clan. It is a modern boy’s camp and is located in the center of the territory served by the Choctaw Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America.”

More in link below which is the first of a four-part series on the 90th anniversary of Camp Tom Hale and the Hale Scout Reservation:

https://www.mcalesternews.com/opinion/cathey-celebrating-th-anniversary-of-camp-tom-hale-at-robbers/article_f7aac6ce-e096-5ff4-aa72-90f480db0003.html

• Upvote 1