Teaching Merit Badge Class Ideas

Greetings,

I staff at my council's flagship camp, was at Nature last year and will either be there or Outdoor Skills this year. I think I'm pretty good and all, and I got good reviews from other staff and campers alike, especially since I could strike conversation with anyone. However, I had a few problems to deal with, my overall nervousness and hesitation led me to always start the classes a few minutes late and end a few minutes early, and additionally I had to find things for the pupils students little peoples scouts to do.

Needless to say, I got the month finished with flying colors, but I know I have a lot to learn on the issue of teaching merit badges, like roster check and little projects to do for classes.

Are there any innovative or tried and true ideas to do for these issues? Any help or advice would be much welcomed.

Thanks!

Yah, ReneScout, what badges do yeh think you're likely to be teachin'? Lots of ideas are badge-specific.

The more general ideas are things like "talk less, coach more." Your value to the boys is directly dependent on how much time they get to spend trying things out and playing around and learning, not how much time you spend teaching. That takes some creativity and more planning time, to think of a series of activities that build understanding and skill.

A good way to think about things is that you should be more like a soccer coach than a school teacher. Yeh should be running MB practice, not class, and yeh check on their ability when they play the game by themselves, not by giving 'em a test.

Beavah

Hmm, good point. I'll keep that in mind. =D

As for badges, that's hard to say. Pretty much anything in Nature or Scout Skills, cuz I don't know what badges I will be teaching. Er, running. ((Last year I did Mammal Study, Soil and Water Con.,and Evi. Sci.))

Hi,

Man oh man, I wish I were in your shoes!!

I'm sure I'd be counting the days till camp started.

If I were you!

I'd contact the Camp Director or the Program Director and do my best to find out what I was doing.

Read the requirements a few times, make sure you understand what they are.

Think about ways of presenting the material which will hold the interest of the Scouts.

Think about what equipment you might need that might help you do a better job.

Some of this stuff you might already have, the camp might have or might be willing to get.

Don't ever be afraid to ask for what you might need! The worst thing that can happen is that they will say no!

Don't take it personally if they do say no!

Look at th area where you will be working!

Think about making it work for you and the Scouts that you will be working with.

On day one when each new group arrives set the ground rules.

Let them know what you intend to do and when you intend to do it! For this you will need a plan -Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan.

Let them know what is expected of them.

Make sure they know when they are to be where ever it is they are supposed to be.

If you plan to start on time let them know that and start on time. If you are going to allow a few minutes "Grace Time" let them know that.

But be consistent!!

When anyone (Youth or adult) attends any sort of a training they want to feel that the guy do the presenting knows what he is talking about and is not going to waste their time.

If people feel that their time is being wasted they will find ways of filling in that time.

Most often they will use this time to do stuff that gets in the way of what you are trying to do and makes it hard for everyone.

You might want to think of some kind of rewards for the group. Nothing big!!

Maybe you could tell them that if we get everything done early on the last day (You know they will because you planned it that way!!)That you are going to show them the pictures you took in that beautiful country across the big pond!!

Or maybe on the last day they could help you put together a presentation of the digital pictures you took of them working on the badge over the week!

The Camp Director might allow it to be shown at the final camp fire or in the dining hall.

One big part of being on staff at camp is that a lot of the younger Scouts are going to look up to you.

Like it or not to some of these little Lads you are some kind of a hero.

Many will want to be like you when they get older!

This is a lofty responsibility! You are "On Stage" All the time!

But more than just being the great example that I'm sure you are!! Be a nice guy.

Take the time to talk with these little fellows when you see them. Stop and chat with them when you see them around the camp. If you can, try and sit next to a few of them at meal times.

Take my word for it, in a few months much of the material that you cover could well be forgotten. - But the impression you make on these little guys will last a life time.

I'm still green with envy.

I hope you have the best summer camp ever.

Eamonn.

ReneScout - I am so impressed with you wanting to make yourself a better merit badge counselor for the boys at camp! We should all be looking to improve our techniques, teaching styles, and presentation abilities.

Son went to his first Boy Scout summer camp last year. He was really excited to take Indian Lore - it sounded so cool and fun and interesting. WRONG! It was (by far) the most boring class he had at camp. It was led by 2 Scouts who did little more than read a couple of paragraphs from the MB book to them, then ask questions about those 2 paragraphs. Read some more, ask some more questions. They did make a couple of craft items that were required, but they were cheesy.

Do what you can to find out which MBs you will lead, so you can "be prepared." Your confidence will increase (and your nervousness will decrease) if you feel prepared. Plus that way, you'll be able to have some related filler activities ready, as time warrants. You cannot add to the requirements for a MB, but you certainly can extend the learning and increase the fun :-) Maybe have a related daily challenge question and they bring the answer back tomorrow, or have them bring something new with them to class each day. Let them come up with a related skit for closing campfire. Have them add to YOUR summer camp memory book by signing it, adding photos or drawings, gluing something related to the MB class, etc. Is there a camp give-back activity you could do together related to your MB?

Make your time together as interactive as possible (use props and visuals), so they spend more time doing than listening.

clyde

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at two different scout camps over 5 summers and taught rifle, arch, mountain biking, fishing, fly-fishing, personal fitness, astronomy, communications, and cit. in the nation.

From my experience in teaching MBs, and supervising others who taught MBs is that reading from the book and/or straight lecturing is the worst thing you can do. These kids want to have FUN, they want to learn, but they do not want it to seem like school. They are on break from school, so them feel like they are NOT at school.

Be hands on, give them activities, hold discussions, try to answer their questions on anything that has to do with the subject (not just the straight forward requirements). Give them more than the requirements if you have time. Find a way to relate with them, talk a little football or basketball for 2 or 3 minutes before class starts.