Camp Orr - summer 08 feedback please

Our troop is considering Camp Orr in Jasper, Arkansas for summer camp in June 09. I have read some reviews online that suggest the camp used to receive great reviews but that is no longer the case with the arrival of a new director in 2008.

Please share your Camp Orr opinions/experience/feedback from Summer 2008 until now. THANKS!

I just spoke to a friend of mine who was a previous aquatics and later the program director at the camp. He said they still have a teriffic program. He said their high adventure really excels. The have a 50 miler (backpacking or canoeing), excellent climbing (tower and natural rock) and caving. He said he has heard of no decline with the current CD.

I know of a troop who attended 2007. Great feedback but I can offer no specifics.

• 1 month later...

It's been many years since I have had the chance to attend Camp Orr. I was a second generation Camp Orr Scout as my dad was in one of the canoes that came down the river when they chose the site and he helped build the camp. I spent much time there going to camp, working on staff, troop and OA functions. It is (or at least was) one of the best camps that I've ever been to.

Because of life (wife, kids, military...regular job) I got away from Scouts for a long while. I was looking forward to the time when my son was old enough to go. I've been a Scoutmaster since last July and had been pushing to get our troop to Camp Orr this summer but it seems that our CO made other plans (LDS troop going to a multi-stake LDS-only week at Camp DeSoto in El Dorado, Arkansas).

Camp Orr offers more high adventure stuff now than it used to and it seems like a great program. Hopefully, next summer I'll get the chance to take our troop and my son on his first trip there. Oh well, at least there is the Ordeal Weekend in May.

I love Camp Orr, but I am biased. The program would have to go pretty steeply downhill for it not to be a good program.

• 5 months later...