Can anyone who actually has had a scout attend an Eagle Camp or knows first hand tell me how much a scout works on the merit badges. My son is being forbidden to attend an Eagle Camp in our council "because they don't actually work on them"

Every camp/college is different as every MBC is different. Some MBCs are demanding, others are pushovers. I'ld have the YOUTH talk to the SM and ask why. HIS advancement, HIS resposnibility. It may be that the camp has a rep for being a joke.

Eagle92

My son is being forbidden by a committee chairperson (who has a history of making decisions and judgements based on bascially nothing other than her own opinion). Talking to two boys who have actually attended the camp, they did not find that to be the case. The camping director for the council tells me that is not the case. I was just trying to get other opinions.

What does the CC have to do with advancement? This the SM area not hers. As far as I can see there really is nothing that she can do to stop the boys from attending. Sounds like the CC needs to know what area is covered by the CC and which is covered by the SM. If other boys have attended and they had no problems with it, what's her problem? More then that shame on the SM for letting this happen.

It is one of those instances where the SM does what she says. I usually refer to her as the real SM. It is a bad situation. My only problem is that my sons do not want to transfer. The CC recently tried to stop a bunch of us from attending another BS function by lying to the SM about the function. We had to get district involved.

As stated in the camping information from council:

"Registration: Limited to First Class, Star and Life Scouts who previously attended or will attend 2009 Summer Camp at Camp

XXXXXX or a previous 2009 unit long-term experience at another council camp.

Program: Merit Badges offered: Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the World,

Communications, Personal Management, and Family Life. (Scouts will sign up to take at least two, but not more than four of

these badges.)

During their stay at Eagle Camp, Scouts will be going on a variety of field trips that are specifically designed to meet the

requirements of those badges offered. The Scouts shall be required to attend specific program designed for the Eagle Camp.

Further program information for the Eagle Camp will be forwarded to the individual campers following registration."

My answer is if this is an individual thing, not a troop as a whole, sign him up if he wants to go.

Pay the money, why even ask the CC. What is she going to do tell council to refund the money, they would laugh at her. Can you see a council camp turning down willing paying scouts? I think not.

Just ignore her.

On another note, I wouldn't have sent my son as I think these kind of MB's should be done 1 on 1 with an experianced counselor, not in a camp setting

I've never heard of this kind of camp. Our summer camp does run a program called Adventure to Eagle for scouts who are attending their third or fourth year of summer camp. It combines some high adventure with a couple of Eagle required merit badges. Scouts must be at least 1st class and 14 to sign up. Weasel99-maybe your camp is similar to this.

I try to discourage our guys from taking the citizenship badges that are offered at camp. It's their choice, of course, but most realize after we talk that there are a lot of other opportunities at camp that are more fun or, at least, will be less like sitting in a classroom. Plenty of opportunity back home to work on citizenships.

Ours doesn't offer it, but I strongly dislike the idea of a camp offering family life.

My local camp has an "Eagle Base" program area that offers Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications and Personal Management. Participants have to be 14, Life or past the 8th grade.

It began about 15-20 years ago as a provisional, post-camp program run by volunteers. Older Scouts would attend and take the above badges, plus such items as Lifesaving, BSA Lifeguard, etc. They'd get a discounted rate and in return help take down camp. Nowadays, it's just another program area.

IMHO, summer camp should be a place for outdoors-oriented programs. You shouldn't go to camp to sit indoors. There are plenty of counselors out there for the Eagle-required badges - it's just a matter of the Scout reaching out.