listing / resources / reviews of summer camps ...

Much to my surprise, one of my young men asked me recently why we always go to summer camp in the same location, and what it would take to go someplace different. My smile stretched so wide it might have come off my face on the edges!

Now they want guidance and resources (and I want them to have a positive experience!) Being the generation they are, they expect to go online in 10 minutes and find a unified listing of every summer camp within 500 miles with camper reviews and ratings, lists of MB's and programs offered, and be able to make a choice for summer of 2010 all in the space of one meeting. I'm looking, along with them, but I'm not quickly finding any resources like that.

Any guidance?

Surprise! You came to the right place, though it is not quite as easy as that.

Follow this link to find camps by state: http://www.scouter.com/compass/Where_To_Go/BSA_Camps/

You will likely have to pull up camps by finding the council sites and looking into it. This will take a while. But while you are looking through that, just ask the group here for camps in X states or near Illinois. We are far from there, so I cannot offer you any from experience, but I bet others here can tell you about camps nearer to you.

Kudos to your scouts for taking it upon themselves to try new and different places! Ours have found a few camps they like to bounce between, but I they are interested in trying out new and different places.

ilduncans,

You also might check with the websites of the local OA lodges. They often produce where to go camping guides, often posted on their site. I would advise that you check with your lodge as well as some of the others neighboring lodges in your state!

Prof