SPL Guide for Summer Camp

I am the program director at Rainbow Scout Reservation in Morris, IL. I am producing a new Senior Patrol Leader's Guide for troops that are coming to camp, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some resources so I don't have to start from scratch.

Do you have either:

A similar guide from another summer camp?

or

Ideas about what should be included in the guide? What does an SPL need to know to prepare his troop for summer camp?

If you have files to send I am at billcurtin@hotmail.com

Thanks

Bill Curtin

Program Director

Rainbow Scout Reservation

• 1 month later...

My Council (Buckeye) offers a program called the SPL2B program.

The way it works is like this: The SPL from a troop goes to camp twice. Once before his scheduled week and then during his scheduled week. He also only pays for camp once.

The first week he is there, he is assigned to a troop. While he is there, he takes all his merit badges and such and observes how the troop's SPL works. He's essentially the SPL's shadow.

When he returns to camp with his troop for his second week, his SOLE job is to be the SPL. He doesn't take any more merit badges his second week, he just runs his troop.

http://buckeyecouncil.org/Boy%20Scout%20Summer%20Camp.htm

You can find details in the Leader's Guide PDF file by searching "SPL2B" and the application form is under the Forms link on the left of the page.

Hope that helps!

PS: I apologize in advance for the...unprofessional nature of the website.

Having an emphasis on time management is critical. Our SPL one year didn't bring a watch and didn't take any of the dozens of hints that one of us would get him a watch if he asked. He didn't even ask us when we said "Ask us and we'll try to get you a watch."

Consequently, his troop was often late or running to evey station.

Developing a couple of troop whistle codes would also be helpful as well as the need to carry and use a notebook so he knows where the troop, patrols or individual scouts should be at any given time.

I like the shadow idea from the Buckeye Council.

Whistle codes and bugler? I see a thread split coming.

Does any summer camp use a bugler for "all" of the codes, other than playing for flags and playing taps on the last day at campfire?

I'd love to see a summer camp bugle for meals, assembly, games... It's a lost art.

Really, I notice a lot of boys just don't have much hustle. I wonder if a whistle code or bugle code could help that.