Southern Appalachian Summer Camps

Our troop is looking for a summer camp in the Southern Appalachians for 2009. In recent years, we have attended Skymont and Camp Thunder. We are looking for someplace new.

Any information you can provide on Camp Buck Toms, Sidney Dew, Rainey Mountain, Woodruff or others is welcome. We like to get away from our local 90/90 days (90+ degrees with 90+% humidity), and the mountains in this area are in our 500 mile local tour permit range.

I know of two camps in the mountains of NC, Bob Hardin in Saluda and Daniel Boone in Waynesville. I have never been to either but lived there for two years and the temp in the mountains is much better than in the Piedmont or other lower areas.

Our troop attended Rainey Mt several years back now. They had an excellent experience and those who remember it have been pushing to go back ever since.

I don't know if it is within your 500 mile range? But we went to Camp Bonner/Pamlico Sea Base in NC two years ago and it was outstanding.

Bonner and Pamlico may not be in the moutains, but they are a blast. best thing is, they've impvoved both facilities within the past year and are more improvements are on the way. Bonner has NCS in May, and the OA are going otu of our way to make it the best camp in the region!.

We're #1...17

Eagle92 and Lisabob,

We appreciate the sentiment for Pamlico, but it is a difference of 425 miles vs 803. We may try that in the future, but it does not fit this year's plan. I received a mailing several weeks ago for Pamlico, and I forwarded it to our Sea Scout Ships; I can remind the units of your program, maybe they can work it into a Superactivity (neither local ships have the resources yet to pull off a long cruise).

Local1400,

Camps Rainey Mountain and Woodruff are at 1600-2000' msl; Camps Sidney Dew and Buck Toms are lower at 800' msl. Daniel Boone is the highest at 2700', but DB is already booked full for the entire summer.

I have been communicating with Camp directors from Woodruff and Rainey Mountain; both seem very cooperative and appear to have great programs. I don't go to the owner of a car dealership to ask advice on which car to buy, I go to the owners, whether they like their cars or not. I was just hoping anyone from the forums may have had experience with any camps in this area.

Rainey Mountain is one of my favorites although it is small. Too bad about Daniel Boone, that would have been the best choice. One more to consider is Camp Old Indian. If you can get in during June it's still not too hot. No farther to drive than Rainey Mountain. I think they still have openings but you need to check.

Edited part: Oops, just realized where you're coming from. COI is about 50 miles farther than Rainey Mountain.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Woodruff Scout Reservation - North Georgia, but the Atlanta Area Council.

Good program - temperatures in evening can drop to the 50's some weeks. Incredible facilities. About 750 scouts per week - 8 weeks of camp. Lots from Florida and other states. The weeks in early June will be full by now, but there is usually space in the July weeks.

The good thing about the program is that the scouts do merit badge classes in the morning, and can do troop activities ( archery, rifle, mountain biking, mountain boarding, hiking, rappelling, climbing, swimming and boating ) in the afternoon and evening. Also - all scouts go on a whitewater trip - either the Ocoee or the Nantahalla River

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Skymont two summers ago and looking at Buck Toms for 2009, We have a unit campout there next weekend to check things out. Will post after we get back.

We also have an Eagle Scout in our troop that worked several summers on staff at Daniel Boone. He raves about it.(This message has been edited by Sir_Scoutalot)

The PLC decided upon Woodruff, and we have our reservations locked in! Much of what sold the PLC on this camp was the multiple adventure programs (on and off site) for no additional cost. Talking to other troop leaders, the new scout program (called Mountain Man at this camp) is highly regarded. We have several older boys (16+) and will have a large crop of younger boys (11-12), with only 2 or 3 inbetween these ages. We will certainly evaluate the program this year.

We still have material coming in from other camps around. We received in the mail a really great DVD from Rainey Mountain. We may head out there next year.

Please feel free to pitch in more on this thread. I will likely resurect it over the summer to plan early for next year. In the meantime, keep those reports coming in. Thanks for all the input!