Girls under 18 serving on camp staff ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have attended and staffed camps that had female Explorers/Venturers active with non-camp posts/ crews working staff both over and under 18. And I have never had problems with them. They have know the rules, followed them and everything works out well. Like someone said already by the end of staff week or the first week of camp, the infatuations and flirtations are pretty much over with.

I also had ladies who had specialty skills work camp with me, specifically a COPE director and medic. GREAT SCOT the problems that occurred with them two. And with one case it was difficult to correct the situation because her brother was a SDE for the council. The problem only went away when her fiance' came to visit. The Medic problem was solved easily because she was TDY, and her CO, who was a board member and heard about her and the aquatics director, visited camp had a little chat. Problem solved.

As for females and NYLT, since I don't know the new requirements ans syllabus for the course, I can't really say one thing or the other. However, I do remember that during the JLT course I staffed, we did have 2 Explorers on staff. Grant you they were male, but primary registration was a post, not a troop.

SR: so whats the difference between summer camp staff and NYLT staff? Aren't both Boy Scout Programs?

See that is my point - we've opened the door to under 18 girls to work on staff, so where does it stop? And outside of the boy scouts is for boys position which rings very true with me, Im not so sure it should stop. As weve beat on pretty good, if girls are qualified and capable staff members, why can't they be capable and qualified instructors for NYLT or other programs? or participants for that matter?? Heck, I want my teenage girl to learn about these wonderful leadership skills as much as I want our boys to. They will help her as much as them. Its tough to draw a line because they have that birth defect of being female (thats a joke!).

Loud Snoring Bear,

Personally, I draw the line at a paid position vs a program specific volunteer position. Staffing at camp is paid. Staffing NYLT is supposed to be Boy Scout youth teaching other Boy Scout youth about Boy Scout troop and patrol leadership. They model what they teach. Nothing against girls....I like them as much as the next guy.......but having non-members staff NYLT is wrong.

• 5 months later...

I served my first camp position not too long ago.

SHAC winter camp had a final attendance of 947 boys.

I was the ONLY female youth on staff.

During the days, I worked out of the trading post. In the early mornings, evenings, and nights, I helped run flag raising, flag retirement, and evening program.

Being a chick in a boy scout event was...a tad interesting at times.

But honestly?

I had a blast. Not because I milked the 'I'm female, treat me as such' thing. I definitely have the ability to be 'one of the guys'. Because of my visibility (ALL SCOUTS attended the flag ceremonies), by the end of the second day, EVERYONE knew my name. I had several older scouts, many of whom had staffed at summer camps, approach me and ask me how the heck I found being on staff gainful at all. I wasn't paid for winter camp. I didn't HAVE to be there. But being part of Scouting, to me, at least, means that I am shaping not only myself, but other people in Scouting, into people who will lead this world. Sure. I may have that 'birth defect' of being female. But I'm a Scout too.

I think just because there may be females around, that doesn't mean that all guys have to watch how they are. I mean, it's still a boy scout campout, and the females don't change that. They were the ones that decided to be there. Therefore, they are choosing to be one of the guys. They shouldn't be treated any different, unless it's like sleeping issues. But volenteers and good staffers are needed, and everyone is just as capabile to be a great asset in the scouting program.

First - yep I am a girl. And quite frankly can out camp, hike, climb, shoot and kayak most males. However, I am also an ARC IT for lifeguarding and WSI and BSA Aquatic Director. It is not girls in general, that are the problem, its girls who think the scout camp is a big shopping mall. The expectations have to be VERY clear. Young ladies on my water front, dressed appropriately,(no two piece), did not flirt and maintained a professional attitude. Best person for the job is the best selection. That said I don't believe 14 year old girls have those skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in as a codger. I'd like to see Boy Scouts with fewer females simply because there are so few opportunities for males to be together without the whole sex thing involved.

AND the whole "I gotta make sure I look good/my fly is up/my beard is shaved/my shirt is tucked in" kind of thing). It's a lot more relaxing without women around. You can let your hair down.

This reminds me of a newspaper column by a woman who does PR for an all-girls school.

For many of the same reasons that she cited, which I believe are valid, it's a good thing for an all-male environment. This is probably even more useful than before, given the many single mothers out there.

From my observation,

We would not need women in employ at our Scout Reservations, in terms of the sheer quantity of seasonal youth staff, if sufficient young men stepped up to the plate of that employment.

Unfortunately, sacking groceries at the local store, doing a shift at the convenience store, lifeguarding the municipal pool, all pay more than Scout Camp.

As you move to 18+ seasonal staff, those young people have to look at Scout Camp next to internships and real jobs that pay real money... particularly if they are undergrads in a four-year program.

The Scout Reservation is competing with all those jobs, and $30 a week + room and board doesn't always cut it.

IMNSHO, a goodly chunk of the young women BSA Councils hire to staff are due to not having sufficient young men.

So, whether a Scout Reservation is a great place for a young woman to be an employee does not matter much ... she's needed to fill an assignment on the staff.

You already have most of the altruistic Scouts and transitional Scouters staffing Scout Camp. When you've completed appeals to values, the next step is to look at the package.