Curtis Read Scout Reservation Question

While "my" troop is off having fun at camp this week, one of my tasks is to start to pull together info for next year's camp. We're going to Curtis Read in NY.

In looking at the website I see that there are actually 2 camps there: Buckskin (with dining hall service) and Waubeeka (patrol cooking). Yet the fees are exactly the same, $305/scout for either camp. Can anybody explain this to me? Usually patrol cooking options are cheaper. Also, are they really 2 separate camps, or just two sides to the same camp, with a shared program? From the look of things on their website it really is two separate programs in completely different parts of the reservation. But it is hard to tell sometimes, just from a website.

Thanks a lot, that would be really helpful. Please pass on my appreciation to your co-worker. It does look like beautiful country. I've spent a little time in the Adirondacks but not that part. We're hoping to get some of our older guys out into the hills to do one of the high adventure treks too.

Lisa,

Osh introduced us to Read years ago when he joined our troop and we love it! It is huge! The camps have their own staffs and run their own programs.

There is some cross over between the camps, but it's more of a hike rather than a walk to go from one to the other. The camp provides a few vans to move the boys between camps so they can get there in time for classes.

Each camp has the basics such as waterfront, shooting sports, camp craft and scout craft.

Small boat sailing is only in Waubeeka lake but you Buckskin campers can jump in the van if they want to take the MB class. Also, the wet and dry caves are located in Waubeeka.

The ranch is on a side road that is not in either of the camps, there are usually ten horses there for the Horsemanship MB class but they only need them an hour or two each day. (the MB class has more to do with the two ends of the horse than with its back) the rest of the day you can rent them out for trail rides (About $10 per hour long ride)

On the far side of buckskin are the office and health lodge ( a dozen bed infirmary that is thankfully always empty). Campers from Waubeeka jump the vans to take First aid and CPR cert here.

Out beyond both camps the road continues on to what was once the third camp on the reservation (camp Tomahawk). It is now Summit Base. There you will find High and Low COPE, the Zip line into a COLD pond, indoor climbing walls, the cliffs for climbing and rappelling, and a jump off point for the high adventure treks.

White water rafting is off reservation and you can either take your own cars or rent a camp van (we take a bus to camp so we have to rent.)

There's a few small mountains to climb and sleep on for the younger guys who aren't ready for a week long trek. Staff from summit base can help you plan this out.

We always stay at Buckskin. Theres just too much to do to spend time cooking.

Oh, sign out one of the hand crank icecream makers while your there.

http://www.onmyhonor.com/events0102/camp02/

http://www.onmyhonor.com/events0001/scamp01/

If you have more questions about this you can PM me at Chairman@onmyhonor.com

wingnut about covered it.

Waubeeka's swimming hole is much nicer.

There is some overlap with program,otherwise wing said everything my buddy said.

Why not check out Camp Wakpominee. it is about 40 minutes away from Read and very nice. Check out Twin Rivers Council. or search Wakpominee

Lisa Bob have you looked into a bus the troop I was involved in as a youth was chartered by our school, and we were able to use the bus and haul our trailer. Depending on the size of your troop it may be cheaper if you don't need a lot of gear bus rental or tickets may be cheaper.

Good Luck

YIS

Doug

Thanks for the info guys! I'm already excited for our boys about next summer. Doug, we've talked about a bus. I fear it would cost even more but it can't hurt to look again (we looked 2 years ago and were blown away by prices then). Thanks for reminding me to think a little more about options though.