well i know i havent been active on here but i need some help

so all your post will be apreciated.

im in troop 412, and curently the spl. my turm ends after next week when summer camp is done, and wow am i beat. i never expected it to be so much work. but thats aside form the point. heres my main concern, im a poor marcher. in eyars past i was able to look at the kid infront of me and kinda copy him and thats how i marched, but now as SPL i gotta lead the march 0_0

now for SPL's in the past this hassnt been a problem i mean more than half of my troop is in marching band, but im not. ive serched youtube and google trying to find vidoes or webpages to help me learn to lead cadence. and ive came up empty handed. so im hoping one of you guys could help me.

i mean if worse came tow rose i could jsut let me assassitant lead, but i dont wana show that i give up that easy.

thanks in advance

Marching is pretty easy, it is just walking at a regular pace with everyone following you. Ideally, a quick time march is 120 steps per minute.

Calling cadence is pretty simple too. "Left, right, left, right, left"

Calling jodies, the rhyming chants, gets more difficult because you have to remember them and I don't anymore.

Maybe ask your Scoutmaster for some help.

Knowing ones weakness is a sign of maturity. Delegating to a better person is a sign of leadership.  A good leader knows who is the best and puts them into the right position. Do not feel bad if you appoint a better marcher to lead if you are not good at it.

Just being curious, what is this march?

i go to cmap manatoc in ohio, and after ever dinner we have whats called "retreat". this si when we lower the flag and all the troops out there march around in a square and then the flag is taken down and a canon is shot off. its a tradition after every dinner.

i know ure supose to say forward amrch when u want them to start marching forward, but what do u say when u want them to amrch in palce and what do you say when u want them to stop amrching?

btw thanks for the responces.

What GW said, what FK said.

Ask someone who is musical to call a cadence at 120 beats per minute.

Here's one:

I don't know but I've told

BSA is good as gold

I don't know but I heard rumors

that our Scoutmaster is wearin bloomers

Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster don't feel blue

Committee Chair he's a wearin them too

Hey Hey Scoutmaster Jack

Meet me down by the campers trail

with your rope in your hand

We want to be pioneerin men

Hey hey Scoutmaster Jack

with your fork in your hand

We want to be chow-eatin men

Hey hey Scoutmaster Jack

with your fork in your hand

We want to be chow-eatin men

Hey hey Scoutmaster Jack

Meet me down by the swimmin pool

with your towel in your hand

We want to be swimmin men

I suspect Gunny can adapt some other Jodies...

Nick, first off no commands work if the Scouts or Troops don't know what they mean. So you've got to teach them what the commands mean after you learn them.

Second, for every time you give a Drill command, example "Forward, March."

there is a Preparatory command, a pause, and a command of Execution all in there.

In the example given "Forward" lets them know they'll be moving and in what direction. The comma indicates a one-beat(if stationary) or one-step delay (if marching or running)(so they can figure out what their action will be on the command of Execution) and then "March" is the command that tells them to NOW do the action you were prepared for with the preparatory command.

In response to your specific questions - to have them March in place, "Mark time, March." To have them stop marching "Unitsize, Halt" where unit size may be "Detail" for a flag detail, "Patrol" if marching by Patrols or "Troop" if marching as a Troop. I, to avoid confusion, might even call "Troop 412, Halt"

There are lots of Commands and some of them are only usable in certain situations. Here is a resource that gives a lot of them and gives you a look at what some other cultures do also. Look first at the United States section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_commands

Also, if there is a Marine recruiter out there that is available to you. They MIGHT have the time and opportunity to spend a little of it with you showing you what good commands actually sound like and how you can learn to make them sound that way. And ways to practice giving these commands so that you will be more effective when trying them on your Troop. You need to be confident(or at least able to fake confidence) in your abilities to drill or your unit will not look good trying to follow your commands. Not that other services can't do this teaching also but we tend to recommend those we are familiar with. :)

Nick, Feel free to PM me with any follow up questions.

Good luck and Carry On.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

More a running cadence but also a great camp yell.

We're the Great Scout Troop you've heard so much about.

Girl Scouts bring us cookies, whenever we go out.

People say we're Scout like for the Scouting things we do.

We're the Scouts from Troop(insert number).

Now who in Scouts are you!(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Also, you can adapt this basic verse for marching it can go on and on as you make a verse for each Scout Rank and Scout POR and for each Scouter position:

(Disclaimer - fairly clean military version as the source document)

Old King Cole was a merry old soul

and a merry ol' soul was he,

He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl

and he called for his privates three, uh huh.

Beer! Beer! Beer! cried the private.

Brave men are we

There's none so fair as they can compare

to the airborne infantry, uh huh.

for instance:

Old King Cole was a merry old soul

and a merry ol' soul was he,

He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl

and he called for his Tenderfoot Scouts,

Knots! Knots! Knots! cried the Tenderfoot.

How to tie them?

There's none so fair as to compare

to the New Scout Patrol.

All you need to make up for each succeeding verse is the section from "and he called for his Tenderfoot Scouts,

Knots! Knots! Knots! cried the Tenderfoot.

How to tie them?

There's none so fair as to compare

to the New Scout Patrol."

just change the rank, skill, and Patrol... have fun.

I'd give you more but often times it's more fun to make up your own...

Make sure you get at least one verse that diggs on the Scout Leaders - but be nice to the MOMs! ;)(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

All the suggestions given are nice, but keep it simple.

FORWARD, MARCH

This gets them moving. Just remember to start with your left foot.

As leader you can not be "out of step". This means everyone else has to follow your lead and cadence. Only if the American Flag is being used this does not apply. Then the flag bearer cannot be out of step. Just match his left/right sequence.

Have an ASPL call cadence by watching your step. That way you're off the hook.

The speed used will be determined by your step. If you walk slow, the cadence will be slow and vice versa. Just walk slow so as to not tire out the other boys.

When you want to stop just say HALT. The boys will take one more step and stop.

MARK TIME, MARCH and the boys will stop moving forward and keep stepping the cadance.

FORWARD, MARCH will get them going from either standing still or marking time.

If you wish to call cadence, just say LEFT every time your left foot hits the ground.

Everything else is unnecessary.

Just keep it simple and dignified and you'll do just fine.

Stosh

So much for fun...

What's your military service, Stosh? When I was a FIST chief straight out of my initial training at Sill, the troopers in my battery loved to ride the BC on morning PT. When we had Battalion Runs, CSM made sure each battery got a chance to ride the Old Man.

Why? BECAUSE IT WAS FUN, AND IT BUILT TEAMWORK AND ESPRIT.

I've known units whose commanders could not take jokes, and whose cadence calling was as uninspired as left on the left foot, period. One of them was the Big Red One's Division Artillery commander (Colonel) back in the summer of 1979. Division CG relieved him for cause, because he had lost the confidence of his command.

There's more to it than not calling jodies, but that was one of the nails.

Gunny, I like your ideas. Marine recruiters probably are starting to work on the FY09 mission about now; I'll bet they'd move some to get the Corps in front of some impressionable 11-13 year olds.

Any recriuting station should be able to provide assistance. Area reserve centers or National Guard armories too. Plus, the military personnel can almost always be allowed to do volunteer work, and, your unit may get a new committee member or ASM.

I have heard some great suggestions. I have seen a lot of them from Gunny and that is what I was expecting. I think Gunny and other are right when they say look towards your local recruiting station. They will probably have someone that will be willing to help.

I have seen several suggest keeping it simple with just calling out the left foot. Here are some other suggetions that you may want to consider.

If you do have a little story that you want or something like that, try putting some notes on index cards that fit not only in the pocket of your uniform shirt, but also in the palm of your hand as not to be seen by everybody when you palm it for the notes. But ultimatly the best way is to repeat them to your self so that you remember them. Also remember that each phrase starts when YOUR left foot hits the ground.

Here are some other suggestions to keep everyone in step.

Count. 1, 2, 3, 4 pause 1, 2, 3, 4

Try this link for a suggestion

http://www.goarmy.com/life/basic/army_cadence_jukebox.html

Click the little #8 for a good marching cadence, Change Bravo to 412.

Here is another one,

Here we go again

Same old stuff again

Marching down the avenue

Six more days and we'll be through

I'll be glad and so will you

We are _______ Company

And we like to party

(P-A-R-T-Y)

Party hardy

(H-A-R-D-Y)

Party harty all night long

Your left

(Right)

Your left

(Right)

Your left, right, get on down

Your left

(Right)

Your left

(Right)

Your left, right, get on down

And here is one that I remember.

They say that at Camp XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, The Chow is mighty fine

(Troop Repeats)

Chicken Jumped of the table and started marching time

(Troop Repeats)

Oh lord I wanna go home

(Troop Repeats)

But they won't let me go ho ooooooo uh oooooome Hey

They say that at Camp XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, The Coffe's mighty fine

(Troop Repeats)

Looks like muddy water, and smells like turpentine

(Troop Repeats)

Oh lord I wanna go home

(Troop Repeats)

But they won't let me go ho ooooooo uh oooooome Hey

You can add other things as you like.

Hope this helps

Nick,

They're still making you guys march at Manatoc? Good!!! I'm an old Manatoc Scout from the 70's. I spent a lot of time out there between Troops 18 and 182 and OA.

If I remeber correctly, you will come onto the parade field as you march in from your campsite. Use the jodies then.

When you reach your Troops lineup spot and stop, call Troop 412 HALT. I don't remember the next command, but it is the equivalent of "Right, Dress Right", but the Scouts extend their right arm straight out and place their hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them to get their spacing. Maybe Gunny or Gonzo can help here?

Then place them at Parade Rest.

The camp staff will then call out orders.

When the Troops start to march around the parade ground

- Call Troop 412 Attention

- Forward March

- Column Right March, as you turn and march in front of the other Troops.

- Column Left March, as you turn up toward the flagpole and staff.

- Column Left March, as you turn to march in front of the staff and flag.

- As you approach the staff and flag call "Eyes Right" or "Present Arms" (whichever the camp prefers) at which time the Scouts turn their heads to the right (and salute?) while your flagbearer dips your Troop flag as you march by the US flag.

- After You pass the staff, call " Eyes Front".

- Continue to call "Column Left March" around the parade ground until you reach your starting point and the "Halt" if you go back to your starting point, or march them right over to the dining hall.

Do they still have the dreaded GIZMO at camp? Have you ever had to kiss the moose or wild boar at the dining hall?

E. Prather

Bicentennial Eagle

ASM Troop 915

Canal Fulton, Oh(This message has been edited by ASM915)