Communications with home

>>> What shocked me about the experience is my First Class Scout parents thanking me. They obviously were not worried about their scouts, but got to vicariously enjoy some of what the scouts were doing. Not to mention feel proud of their offspring.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movie night, not too outrageous an idea.

The very first time I saw "follow Me Boys" was at summer camp. Back then, there was one night where they mixed kids from all the different troops into patrols. This new patrol, for the night, would compete in different Scout skill contests.

Our patrol won front row seats to the movie.

An appropriate movie one night at summercamp - doesn't bother me. Every night of Adam Sandler, I'd think it a bit much (aren't most of his movies PG13?)

Just back from summer camp... had a communication issue I'd never experienced before. One of our new Scouts (April Webelos crossover - had been to Webelos camp twice) was very homesick and extremely nervous that his parents would die while he was at camp. He was pretty much ok during the day, but had a very hard time at night. His parents had given him a cell phone so he could text them to make sure they were ok. It apparently was supposed to be something he did only once or twice a day to assure himself mom and dad were ok. Unfortunately, he ended up staying up until all hours of the night sending a steam of text messages home. I did not even know this was going on until Mom picked him up and told me. Maybe it kept him going, but I tend to think it just delayed him getting over the hump of homesickness and finding he can be ok and even happy without mom and dad. Next year I think I'm going to have to be very clear with the parents that constant communication with home is not the best way to overcome homesickness.