Looking for a Summer Job???

BSA Camp Lowden in Oregon, IL is looking to fill several positions on its 2008 Camp Staff. These positions include Aquatics Director, Handicraft Director, Commissary Director, Commissary Staff, several instructor positions, and CIT positions.

Staff week is the week of June 15 and the final week of camp obligations is around August 10.

Because of the new minimum wage laws in the State of IL camp salaries have drastically increased.

If interested see the the Camp Lowden website at www.camplowden.org or contact the Camp Director at bsmall (at) mchsi.com

You've an interesting camp, and the climbing tower looks like a ton of fun. Also, checked out your high adventure program. My question, as you're on the Rock River why aren't you running a week long canoe trek with several outpost camps (for example, voyageur, long hunter, colonial living)?

You are exceptionally late in the day in recruiting staff. Our Council had PDs locked in nine months ago, and area Directors and ADs locked in six months ago.

What are the numbers? Who pays for National Camp School, including travel, since there are but limited choices left? Is there a staff scholarship program?

You're seeking DIRECTORS. That's not an easy set of people to come by.

You might want to publicize how far you're willing to go to get staff.

Slightly off topic, but I was interested by John-in-KC's post.

If a prospective employer requires that I complete a certain training or certification - such as Camp School - my first assumption is that the employer pays for that training. That was how my former camp employer handled it when I completed the Scoutcraft Director course at Hawk Mountain.

But is that not common? Did I just get lucky? Do most camps make their directors pay for NCS on their own? And can individuals sign up for NCS on their own, without camp or council sponsorship?

(The exception to my rule above is if the certification is readily available to the general public - such as Red Cross Lifeguard training, CPR, First Aid or LNT Trainer.)

Of the seven camp schools that I've attended, the Council has always footed the bill. I only had to take care of transportation.

But John is right. Here in the Southern Region NCS has just completed it's last school for the season. To find an AD now, and only two weeks away from staff week does not bode well...those positions should of been locked up a long long time ago....

Since we are bound for Camp Lowden on June 22nd (first week), I can't help but wonder how this will affect the program this year.

Oh what am I saying? Even though a staffing shortfall is no Small matter, I'm sure Bruce will pull off a great program again this year!

ASM59

If you have questions regarding staff and the camp program please see the council website. The contact information for the webmaster, Camp Director, and Council Program Director are all on the site. They are great people and will be willing to answer any questions.

BALONEY.

If you put up an emergency help wanted ad, you need to put all the contact info in the ad.

You also need to put the enticements which will cause someone to decide "This might be worth it." Why should someone decide to re-arrange their summer plans to support your facility at the 11th hour?

Instead, my perception, based on your ad, is an unorganized operation that can't even timely develop its staff. If I were a SM looking at year after next options, whatever the Council website said, I might not be presenting this camp to my PLC for consideration.

Feedback is a gift. Use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. I've worked at a camp that lost two NCS-trained directors (in two different summers), from resignation and termination.

One fellow quit before staff week was even over. The guy had no Scouting experience and didn't really realize what he was getting into, unfortunately.

Perhaps this camp simply had key people back out at the last minute. A lot can change between a November/December handshake committment and June, including full-time job changes.

// rant

I'm pretty surprised this doesn't happen more often. For many people over 21, the very folks with maturity and experience that you need as Camp, Program, Aquatics, Shooting Sports and COPE directors, it's a money-losing proposition to work at a camp.

Besides teachers, college professors, retirees, people between jobs and high school/college students, who can afford to take off 10-11 weeks, especially while still paying rent/mortgage and utilities on their year-round domiciles?

end rant //

Echoing John-in-KC, if you post an ad, please put all the important info out there - exact salaries, fringe benefits, time off, incentives. If they're really good, an employer should be proud to stand by them and use them to attract people.

What troubles me more in this original posting is the shortage of instructors and commissary staff. That indicates a lack of returning staff and CITs moving up, which could be a red flag that things haven't gone well in past years. But that's totally just my theorizing and conjecture.

But with staff week set to start on Sunday, I hope Camp Lowden is now fully staffed and everything's worked out for them. Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day,

We just returned yesterday from our week of summer camp at Camp Lowden. Just as predicted, Bruce and his fine staff pulled it off. Everything was in order as far as staff and they did an excellent job! Another great week at Camp Lowden.

We have attended Camp Lowden two summers in a row, and the staff at Camp Lowden exudes Scout Spirit like no other staff from any other camp that Ive attended. When you ask the staff about it, theyll only say that its because of Bruce. Its the way Bruce lives his life with integrity and in a Scout-like manner that makes us want to be like him, said one of the staff members to me on the last day of camp. What an influence Bruce has had on the lives of staff members at this Camp. Thanks Bruce!