New SM and have concern with campwide games

I am becoming the SM of our Troop when we recharter in February. The current SM is stepping down to ASM, because he wants to concetrate on supporting the Venturing Crew that he started about a year ago. (He is the Crew advisor). Before I begin, I would like to state that I have a lot of respect for this man. He took on the position of SM when no one was willing to step up, and the troop has been quite successful with him at the helm.

Since I have been with the Troop, the SM has always 'pushed' the boys to earn the Troop Award of Excellence (TAE) during the week we spend at summer camp. Part of earning the TAE is that each patrol must compete in a certain number of the offered campwide games. (There are other requirements, such as the SM making sure that all necessary paperwork is turned in by a certain date, have so many scouts earn a merit badge during the week, perform a conservation project, etc.).

It has been brought to my attention that several of the boys in the Troop would rather forgo the campwide games, and do other things in that allotted time, things like playing UNO with the other guys in the Troop. Basically have more Troop time.

I am OK with this, as I see it as something the PLC should discuss and make a decision about. I do not believe that the adult leaders should have anything to add to this.

However, the current SM is of the opinion that if the Troop earns the TAE, it shows that we have fully participated in the Camp Program, and that it sends a message to the parents of the boys that their money was well spent. He makes a good point.

I am of the opinion that Summer Camp is for the scouts. If they desire to earn the TAE, they will agree to do it, and work to that end. If they choose not to, it is their loss, and they will not be recognized at the closing campfire.

Please understand that the requirements to earn the TAE are not difficult, but they can be time consuming, especially for the SPL and the PL's.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that if I continue in the same vein as the current SM, the adults will be happy, but the scouts will again complain that this is being adult led, rather than boy led. If I choose to let the boys have the summer camp experience that they want to have, I risk the possibilty of having to deal with disgruntled adult leaders and parents.

Please share your thoughts --- thanks.(This message has been edited by ASM162)

Can't make everyone happy? No easy solution?

I don't want to give you an answer. This is a good leadership exercise for you and your scouts; it is excellent that you are sharing the exercise with them.

A leader uses good judgment to make good decisions to achieve group success. What is success for your troop and how do you get there? Asking advice is good whether you are a new leader or an experienced one, but you make the decision.

You'll do fine.

I think the answer lies in: who's leading the boys? If they are, it's their decision. If you are, it's yours.

I strive for as much boy-led opportunities as possible and so I would not be involved in the process whatsoever. I might ask the boys if they are planning on trying for it again this year, but drop out of the discussion as soon as I got the answer. If the boys have enjoyed getting this award in the past and want to try for it again, it's up to them to get their act together. If not, just remind the parents that it's the boy's troop after all. You have covered your rear in the fact that you brought the subject up and the boys made their decision.

On the other hand if the SM pushes and the boys "win" is it the Troop Award of Excellence or the SM Award of Excellence? I would think wanting to win would carry more weight than having to win.

Just my 2-cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

When you took the job as scoutmaster, did you sign a contract with the outgoing scoutmaster that you wouldnt change a thing? Or did he he tell you good luck?

It was his idea to get the award each year, by breaking that tradition, the scouts will realize you are your own person and mean it when you say boy lead.

I like what OGE said, but asking the PLC to make a decision is one way for them to assert that it's their Troop.

Give them a few plusses and minuses, let them figure out some more of same, and let them make a decision.

ASM162

It seems to me you have thought this through really well and you know what the right thing is to do for the scouts. As you say in your last line the problem will be other adults, specifically the old scoutmaster. This award has obviously come to mean more to him than to the scouts.

If he is going to camp with you I would sit down with him before you go, and let him know this was the scouts' decision and so the competition will not be a topic of discussion.

Have fun with the scouts you serve,

BW

I want to thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

I plan to have a pre summer camp PLC scheduled before the Troop goes to camp. It is here that the PLC can discuss the pros and cons considering participation in any or all of the activities/projects that are involved with the Troop Award of Excellence.

It will be interesting to see how the current SM reacts when the PLC makes their decision. I hope that he can just take a step back and take pride in the fact that the scouts made a decision and are going to abide by that decision, regardless of the outcome. I mean, it certainly is not the end of the world if the Troop does not earn the TAE.

It is the boys' summer camp,their experience, and I don't want to take any fun away from these guys. I want to watch them have fun with their program at summer camp.

Again, thank you!

ASM162,

I recommend you have a cup of coffee, sooner than later, with your CC. Make sure he's onboard.

Then have another cup of coffee with your former SM. What you do not need is one of your ASMs making trouble because of decisions you make in program development... or that the PLC makes in program implementation.

Having a PLC meeting before summer camp is a great idea. We had one last year and went over the what was expected from all the youth leaders. We also discussed plans for what the troop was and wasn't going to participate in camp-wide. We also have a PLC meeting every night while at summer camp, so this pre-meeting made the Sunday night meeting a lot easier.

Don't worry about what the former SM thinks. You are the SM now and you should do what you feel is right. If he's a good person, he should know this. By the way, are you going to change your Username to SM162? ;>)

Go Giants!!!!

Our Troop has always participated in campwide games at summer camp. Last summer the guys decided they wanted to go white water rafting instead of the games on Friday. Couldn't blame 'em. Friday games/competitions at camp had gotten pretty lame.

What the guys didn't know was that camp staff changed the Friday schedule last summer and the games were much more inventive, fun, and had something for everyone - not just the biggest and strongest. Our guys missed it. When it came time to give out the award ribbons at Friday night's campfire, they all kept asking me why they didn't get anything. "you weren't here for the games," I said.

I don't know what they'll decide to do this summer, but it will be up to them.

I am in a bit of a quandry over this issue.

On one hand I do want to see the boys (especially the PLC), lead the troop. I want to see them step up to the plate and make decisions for which they have wieghed all aspects of the decision and have well reasoned arguements for decisions they make.

On the other hand, If they decide that they will do things that drastically depart from scouting practice, I feel the obligation to step in and steer the PCL back on course. If they decide "No more uniforms", or if they decide "No more camping", "No more rank andvancement and scout skills", then I need to step in and veto the proposal.

The case before us is an award that the boys must participate in to earn. The activities sound like they are in keeping with scouting aims and methods. But the award is not essential to the well being of the troop. This may be an instance where the PLC can decide. But the SM also has a voice to urge the boys to go for the award.

I fear that a slide would eventually set in. What if the boys said, "we do not want to cook on a campout, but eat twinkies for all our meals". Or, "We do not want to hike. We just want to sit around the fire." If left to themselves, they will slowly erode a scouting program until it is dull, boring, and attacts no new scouts.

Where is the balance? I think the SM has the responsibility to put together the program, and have it be understood that the scouts must participate. Within that framework, the boys can make decisions that affect the troop. Like "where do we go camping?", or "What activity (out of a list from our program) do we do this month?".

Ask the boys. Our love to sit around camp in the evening, talking, doing leatherworking (we take a better setup with us than most camps), playing cards etc. Like everyone else, it is THERE summer camp. Present to them the fellowship with other troops that they will gain, but leave the decision to them.