summer camp activities question

The summer camp our guys have picked out for this year doesn't release its list of merit badge offerings or other special programs until late in April. This is the first time I've come across a camp that waits so long and it is making me nervous, not knowing what sorts of things they typically have available for the boys and also, not being able to gauge whether waiting so late means they're not real well organized. (On the other hand, they could be waiting until staffing is figured out so they know for sure they can cover MB sessions with qualified people.) Additionally the boys are required to turn in camp payments before they'll know what the camp has available for program - which seems a little weird to me too. Is this typical at many camps? Just curious to know whether I ought to be concerned or not, what do you think?

The camp of my youth was very informal. They didn't run classes. They just had various stations, and you could go around and work on whatever merit badges you wanted to. So that would be the extreme version of what you're describing.

At the other end are what I see in most camps these days - with a very structured environment that's decided well ahead of time.

Should you worry? Well, will worrying help you take any action to fix anything? If not (and I don't really see how it could at this point), then I'd say not to worry. You're just going to have to go with the flow, whatever it happens to be.

For now I'd go with your interpretation that they don't want to finalize their schedule until they know their staff. Sounds reasonable. And there should still be enough time to be flexible once you see the schedule.

And I presume that you know what they offered last year. What was it about the camp that prompted the guys to pick this one?

Merit Badges shouldn't be the focus of a Summer Camp. The focus of Summer Camp should be to get your scouts outdoors for the entire week. To teach them the basics of Boy Scouts (things like leadership, working as a team, and surviving without Mom and Dad around). Today we have turned Summer Camps into Merit Badge factories, instead of the great scouting classroom that it should be.

Another thing is that maybe your scouts picked this camp because it has a really neat waterfront or swimming pool. Maybe it has a big open field that scouts can go play football, wiffleball, or some other field sport.

But to answer your question the Summer Camps that I have been to and the one that I have staffed at always have their Merit Badge listing established well before hand. Usually it doesn't change much year to year. They utilize the waterfront, pools, buildings, and other resources the camp has itself and then hires staff accordingly.

Oak, no we do not have a listing of what they offered last year (which would allay some concern, since I agree that it is unlikely to be wildly different from year to year). Honestly I think the reason the boys picked this camp was that they had a slick promo video online, as opposed to some other camps the boys were considering that had less of a marketing edge. Of course that doesn't translate into a great program either way so we'll see.

I guess worrying is rather futile - but I'm a detail person - so I was considering calling the council office for this camp and asking them for last year's program listing, at least.

And hotdesk, I agree that it really would be lovely if it weren't all about merit badges. On the other hand, that's the way most BSA camps operate and the boys do want to know what's going to be available to do at camp.

Yah, da boys chose the camp, eh? Why in the world would yeh worry about this at all? Certainly, why would you be nervous if the boys are not?

Me, I'd buy the Camp Director a cigar and say "Good show, old boy!" It's supposed to be a camp, not summer school! ;)

B

Having been attending summer camps since the 60's, I have found that camps and programs change very little, if at all, from year to year. So if you get a copy of last summer's Leaders Guide, I would venture to guess that 98% of it will still apply to this year.

Dale

Beavah,

Because here in the real world, a week is a long time at a camp where the program is poorly run or unorganized. It leaves us with more headaches (both during and after the week at camp) than we appreciate. If it can be dealt with in a pro-active manner then the headaches can be reduced. Oh and also, because young scouts (and we have a lot of those in the troop these days) who have a lousy time at camp are less likely to want to go again, or maybe even less likely to stay in scouts.

Nah It's Me, that's not what I meant. But when you have guys joining the troop in Feb/March and going to camp in June/July for the first time (often, for the first time away from mom and dad for more than a day or so, ever in their lives) and they have a lousy time then...yeah, it isn't conducive to keeping them in scouting.

A couple of years ago the troop went to a poorly run camp with a badly organized/staffed 1st year program and a couple of our first year scouts did quit right after that.

Lisabob

If we are really willing to stick with a "Youth Led" program?

We have to accept that at times what the youth do is maybe not in line with what we might do or even like.

The Scouts for what ever reason have opted to go to this camp.

Chances are is that it is going to be wonderful.

But for a minute lets pretend that it isn't wonderful.

What will the Scouts learn from their choice?

I kinda think that there is a big lesson about Communication, the giving and receiving of information?

I'm not sure but maybe there is something to be learned about Representing The Group? And maybe even the old Guided Discovery might be in there?

Of course it's sad that the only way to find out how good or bad it is going to be? Will only be found out after the event.

I do think that bringing the group that chose to attend this camp together after the camp for a Reflection and asking if they really had enough information before they made their choice? Might be a good idea? It doesn't matter if the camp was wonderful or not!!

Trying to look at this as an opportunity for developing leadership rather than maybe trying to fix it? Could be the way to go?

Eamonn.

Lisa,

Ditto to Eagledad's suggestion about calling the council office. Even if some things aren't finalized for this year, they should at least be able to provide you with a copy of last years listings and leader's guide. Barring major changes, that should help your boys plan and work on prerequisite requirements. It may also help you plan for troop/patrol activities at times when classes aren't in session.

If it were me, at he next roundtable, I think I might (quietly) inquire of my fellow scouters as to what experiences they may have had at this camp in the past. Positive feedback from someone who has been there might allay some fear. Negative feedback might indicate that more time/effort is needed to work on the backup plan.

Some thoughts.

Steve