Camp Woodruff Troop Overnighter

I see that Camp Woodruff offers a troop canoe overnighter. This looks interesting to me. I was wondering if I could get some comments on troops who have done this specific overnighter or troops who have done their own overnighter at summer camp.

We haven't done it, but hope to do so next summer. At Woodruff, your Troop paddles across the lake at dusk. They stay in tents already set up, but no other equipment is set up at the remote site.

This past summer, we were sitting at the amphitheater for the flag retirement ceremony, and we could hear the troop on the overnighter from across the lake. They were out on a night hike, singing "We are the Boy Scouts" (Remember the Titans song) with a lot of spirit, and it echoed across the lake. Being that we were in a troop at that time that never sang a single song, hearing that other troop was surreal, almost magical. A great memory from last summer.

Basically, this is a troop run event - no staff involvement. Many troops will take over camp dutch ovens, charcoal and cobbler ingredients from the tradings post. Some troops will get just their older scouts to go, etc. The limit is about 20 or so. You just paddle across the lake, then paddle back in the morning. If it's foggy ( and it usually it ) it can make for an interesting early morning paddle, as you have to follow the shoreline - and not cut across the open lake.