Does anyone use the Patrol dad/sponsor method for advice and resource? We are thinking of reinstituting it to jump start our patrols. We don't have active patrol method being used although we have very active boys and a very active troop.

Do NOT do it!

If you want to assign an ASM (the dads) to the new patrols, for the 1st year to get them started out, follow the New Patrol Method from the Scoutmaster Handbook. (The new patrol method was started in 1985)

Preferably I would not have a dad be the ASM for his sons patrol if it could be helped.

Make sure they (the new ASMs) at least read the scoutmaster handbook and understand the patrol method, preferably read the handbook and get training.

The ASM should be there to get the troop guides to help the new scouts.

I agree with Dan,

A trained asst. Scoutmasters for the New Scout Patrols and for the Venture Patrols are very important to a successful program. The key to getting a troop to act as patrols is to talk to them and treat them as patrols. Have every deecision be a patriol decision. help them to understand that the troop is not broken up into patrols but that patrols gather to form a troop.

Bob White

I'd have to agree with the others. Don't do it.

We don't even assign ASMs to "active" duty with patrols...any patrols...not even new patrols. We're blessed with quite a few Scouts, and our retention of older Scouts is good. Our SPL has 5 ASPLs, and 8 Troop Guides. The Troop uses the Troop Guide position as "older Scout mentors" for each and every Patrol Leader and the New Scout Patrol. Boys leading boys. There is one ASM who is asked to keep an eye on the New Scout patrol, but from a distance so the Scouts can perform the duties of their positions. Adding Dad's to the mix only drags along the notion of still being in Cubs. In Scouts, it's boys leading boys, and adults watching...if the adults have done their job right in mentoring and teaching.