Summer Camp in South Dakota

We are looking at attending summer camp in South Dakota in 2008. I would like some feedback on the following two camps: Medicine Mountain, Black Hills Area Council, and Lewis and Clark, Sioux Council. I would like to know what you think of their merit badge program, new scout/trail to first class program, food, campwide activities, etc. Thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...

Well I have been on the staff at Medicine Mtn. for the past five summers and can tell you a lot about those programs. Our trail to first class program is excellent. As a part of the program the scouts earn the first aid merit badge as well as many rank requirements. Our merit badge program is an open program that allows scouts to work on their own pace. A highly motivated scout that does some wok before camp starts could earn up to 12 merit badges. We do partol cooking so how good the food is is really up to you. The indgrediants(sp?) we provide are high quality and there is always extra to go around. Our campwide activites vary between spiritual (an honor trail/chapel service on Monday) to a variety of fun spirited games and competitions. We also offer a day off (wednesday) to go see some of the sights in the Black Hills. If thier is any other way I can assist you please feel free to contact me.

There is a website called usscouts.org (sorry no link-my computer skills are still limited) which has a database of Scout camps in the U.S. You can read and post comments on just about every Scout camp. Of course, there are difference of opinions like in everything else in life, so I wouldn't make up my mind based on someone else's experience. Go, see, have fun, and if you don't like it, try Wyoming next time. You can also check out the councils website for usually very helpful rules and other information and some websites also have photos and even camp promo videos to watch. But I personally would like to attend every Scout camp in the U.S. before I die.

• 4 months later...