Scout Camps in Canada

We're beginning to gather information about camps for 2008 and a question has come up about possibly attending a camp in Canada. There are at least a couple of camps in western Ontario that would be "local" for us, just across the border from our home state. However, the initial response has been that we can't do that because a) the cost of a passport for every youth & adult is problematic and b) Canadian scout camps don't run the same type of program or do their merit badges the same way as the BSA, so any advancement/merit badge work wouldn't "count" back home.

I admit I know very little about Canadian Scouting, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the above concern re: large differences in program and advancement is true?

Several years back our troop attended Haliburton which is just couple of hours north of Toronto. Not a far drive from Western New York. Beautiful camp. Huge lakes. All the sites and program areas are around the lake. Ours was actually on an island. They give each troop canoes for the week to travel around. It's patrol cooking and they offer program areas. The advancements do not transfer back. But you can go to the areas and just have fun and take lessons. We had troop leaders registered as merit badge counselors. Must of the guys knocked of swiming and canoeing. We also did our own First Year program. All the boys had a blast.

Hello again young Eagle,

I would really like to here more about Haliburton. I know a little. The idea about going has been a thought for a couple of years. Any good advice you can give would be helpful. SEE! I'M NOT REALLY THAT BAD.

Lisabob, July 12-19 2008 outside of London Ont. is the 8th Great Lakes Jamboree at greatlakesjamboree.net. This looks real interesting.

I'm planning on bringing this up to the boys on Mon.

I would greatly recomend Haliburton. It is a great difference from most of the BSA camps that I have been to which are all the dining hall cooking advancement factory style.

The troop is very much on its own to plan its own program. Though they do teach classes, they are not actually focused towards advancement. For example at the rifle range they offer a one hour class and thats it. You can then go and shoot whenever. Its not like most BSA camps when you go at a specified time every day. There is plenty to do, it just must be coordinated on your own.

Another thing they do which is really cool is their wilderness survival program. You take a lesson during the day, and then the staff comes in the evening and leaves you on an island for the night and your group is only allowed to bring I think 5 items with them.

When we we several years ago it was much cheaper than any camps here, even with providing our own food. However the Canadian dollar has spiked since then.

If you want to go you must plan really early. The sites fill up really quick and you should reserve as soon as they allow you to do so for the upcoming year. Especially if you want one of the plum sites on one of the islands. Nothing beats having you summer camp site on an island.

Anything else let me know.

When our troop went to Halliburton, we limited it to 1st class scouts and above. We combined it with some site-seeing (day in Gettysburg on the way up and Wash DC on the way back, plus overnights in Niagara Falls.) My youngest was inspired by the program on trapping and other old-time skills, which led to him attending the Mountain Man program at Ottari for 2 years (and working there this summer). There wasn't a lot of emphasis on completing merit badges, mostly they just enjoyed the swimming, fishing and boating, but we did have a merit badge program in the evening put on by one leader, a lawyer, for the Law merit badge - the troop in the next campsite served as jury for a mock-court case the troop put on.

A complication now is that all of your scouts and leaders will need passports (starting for land border crossing I think later this year).