son working at camp

Thought I'd pop in and update on younger son's experience working at camp. For the first two weeks he worked in the Trading Post, and as a CIT sent to other departments on occasion to help out. He was transferred to Ecology Department for the third week where he remained for the rest of the summer. He loved every minute of it.

No longer considered a CIT and even though he was unpaid, he became a full member of the staff, participating in staff night out each week, and having his name stamped on the "leather" which is made each year and displayed in the dining hall bearing all the names of the staff. Normally CITs only work for a few weeks and are not listed.

He has already signed up for next summer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Younger son is already signed up to work at camp next summer as a paid staffer, probably in Ecology Dept. Older son plans to work again as well, after taking last summer off to work his co-op for college. Older son has been asked to be Ecology Director again, but turned it down in favor of another guy that has worked in that department for four years as a counselor and has more practical knowledge of nature. Because he is 21, older son has also been asked if he'd consider other department Director jobs, but after the experience he had being the Ecology Director I think he just wants to be a counselor.

In any event, next summer looks like a lot of free time for husband and me. Both sons off to work for the summer!

• 5 months later...

Contracts signed and extra uniform parts purchased - both sons gearing up for a summer at Camp Old Indian. Older son will be this year's Camp Commissioner and is this week attending National Camp School for that. Younger son will return to the Ecology Department - this year as a paid counselor.

Except for our week taking the Troop to camp, I'm looking forward to carefree summer with hubby!

• 2 weeks later...

OGE - thanks for the compliment, but our sons have always been very enthusiastic Scouts from the time they joined in first grade. You know, that fairly rare breed that thinks Scouting is cool.

Older son enjoyed camp school. This was actually the second time he's been. First time two years ago when he was the Ecology Director. This year as Camp Commissioner. Both sons are leaving at the end of next week for staff week and away they go for the summer. Very cool thing too is that another of our Troop's Scouts is working for the first time this year. Too bad we can't get more Scouts from our District to work at camp. I have always thought it was one of the best experiences a Scout could have - it has been for my sons.

So nice to hear such wonderful stories. despite "financial" skeptism from others about your son being put in a CIT position all summer. There is no way it would have been done if your son was not highly regarded. Words gets around, I'm sure SM was spoken to in absence of expectations that were well met.

We're off this summer to our first Cub resident camp. Was excited to hear my nephew will be councilor at the camp. I asked where he'll be so I can prepare to give him a hard time!! He has hair in ponytail and it's and on-going joke btween us that I'm coming one day w/ scissors and clippers- w/ ponytail tied back it's perfect to snip right off!! Very proud of him. he's going to Philmont and in between working at camp.

He's becoming a fine young man and good example for my son also in scouting. they are in a different dostrict but same council. I'm hoping to have my daughter join venturing next year after she finishes 8th grade and was told the venturing girls could also be counselors.(probably not right away)

I'll have to have her wear a garlic necklace to keep the boys away!!

I picked up my 15 year old Life scout and 2 of his cohorts yesterday from staff week for Cub resident camp. This is his first real job and he has had a blast so far. He will be running games which is OK, but he would prefer to be teaching something. He really surprised me when he told me he couldn't go to Philmont over the phone earlier in the week. Since he has yet to go to summer camp without getting some sort of "injury", I feared the worst that he had hurt a foot or a leg. He will only work half the camp sessions as he will leave for Philmont mid-June. The reason he felt he couldn't go is because about half the staff will also be leaving half way thru and tjhey will be under staffed with as many as 350 Cubs coming to camp. He said the staff is a team and he can't let them down and needs to stay. I told him I appreciated his sense of duty and desire to serve, but staffing is the directors problem, it isn' the first time they have had to address it and it would work out. Besides, this is a troop trek, is paid for, he has done all the shakedowns and the only chance he will get to do it with his friends. He still thinks he should staff. Makes me proud of his maturity. He has put down a down payment to do Northern Tier with the troop next year. I told him that if he enjoyed staffing so much, he could go back for all the sessions and skip the high adventure. Dad could sure enjoy not taking another major hit next summer paying for a trip..........especially since he wants to do a second Jambo in 2010.