Private Summr Camp?

Hello Everybody! Hope everyones New Year is off to a good start.

Being an overseas troop in Direct Service, we dont have a council or council property. The local national scouting association doesnt have a summer camp up and running either.

A lot of our guys do get a chance to visit grandma in the States every now and then (as individuals), and a lot of times they hook up with a local troop and attend a hometown camp. But the prospects of us attending as a troop are sometime down the road.

With that in mind, were going to try to get together a small summer camp as best we can in the near future. Yes, it will be a very limited program, but we need to get the guys the experience of a long term camp. It look like well just have to rent some property for a short term.

I was wondering... with all the heartbreaking news of too many councils in the States selling off historic old camp property, is there any council that is already having to lease back property for a summer camp? Id hope thats not the case, but if it is, Id like to know how thats working out.

Along that line, are there any troops attending Private Non Scout summer camps as a troop?

I would also welcome the opportunity to correspond with any experienced camp directors for advice.

Thanks for any input!

MH

Yah, smincz. Where are you overseas?

The Scout Associations in your country can be an enormous resource. Your boys can go and do a long-term camp with them! Just throw in a few U.S. merit badges/T21 on the side (or accept MB's "in translation") and you've got a great fun program. Even if you want to do your own thing usin' Kudo's resources, most Scout Associations will let you use their property for free as a guest.

Great input...

Thanks for the Link Kudu. It's a very helpful article, and I can't wait to dig into the rest of the links on that page.

Beavah, thanks for da advice too, eh. But... what you mentioned is part of the problem, not much help yet from the local folks. I figure that we will have the opportunity to set the standard for them!

Thanks again for all the advice... please keep it coming!

MH

"An expatriate, but never an Ex-Patriot!"

I think it great that you are working for your boy(s) to have the Scouting experience, whereever you might be.

Waaay back when, my Scout Troop had a SM that had a cousin who had a brother in law who knew someone who owned some wooded property not too far away (something like that). The Troop fathers got together and organized our own summer camp. In the seasons before we held it, weekends were spent building a Quartermaster's cabin with telephone company donated poles. We cleared tent sites, dammed the creek for a swimmin' hole, dug and built a privy, cleared out and capped the spring on the property. And so "Camp Freedom" was created. Our Troop not only attended the Council camp, but always held our own weeklong summer camp there. Each Patrol also had the option of a weekend campout there if we couldn't come up with a new Park to visit.

"Camp Freedom" was our camp, long after I ceased to be a Scout. "The Property" as it was called, eventually became a religious retreat center, so it didn't lose all its purpose.

What I'm trying to say is that, I think with a little prayer and planning your group will find the place to develope your own camp? Somebody near you may have a bit of forest they wouldn't mind loaning.

Good luck.... YiS on the property...

(This message has been edited by SSScout)