Looking for the best of the best Adirondack Camps

My troop's been to Sabattis Scout Reservation twice over the past four years. Sabattis is between Long Lake and Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks.

It's the best camp we've ever been to - it's on Lows Lake, a 2800 acre lake (no motorboats allowed) where all of the shoreline (except for the camp) is owned by the state. And there are many other lakes and rivers that are easily accessabile - all on state land. There are miles of shoreline to explore, bogs to paddle through, rocks to jump from, and beaches to hang-out at. And sprinkled throughout this state land are first-come-first-served free campsites - providing plenty of opportunities to do a fifty miler. And my boys are just amazed at the isolation you get out here in the Adirondacks. Its great looking out across this large lake at night, and seeing no lights at all except for a campfire or two on the distant shore.

This year, we want to do something different. We love Sabattis and will do it again, but we want to try some other camps in the region. As great as Sabattis is, there's got to be some other good camps. I've heard of Massaweppie (which is also near Tupper Lake). And there is Rollins Pond also nearby - I have not heard anything about this one - my parents used to take us camping across the lake from Rollins Pond Scout Camp when I was a boy.

Can anybody tell me about these camps or suggest any other Adirondack Camps. My boys would be most interested in a camp from which they could easily get away from the crowds by flat-water paddling, with some minor portaging. But the activities at the camp are also important.

We are from Richmond Va - an 11 hour drive from the Adirondacks - but they're worth the drive - we can't help but keep coming back.

Go Norteast young man. For a little extra time in the car try Camp Roosevelt in Maine. Go to the Katahdin Area Council website. Theres a few pictures on the camping section but a few more on the JOTA section. Great location, lake is private, good program, family style dining. Check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Camp Wakpominee is very near the southern tip of Lake George.

Great place, boys who lead really care about the kids.

Search Twin Rivers Council BSA.

I drive past Curtis Read all the time, but have never spent a week there.

It is very near Pharaoh Lake which is a great backpacking trip. It is the largest lake in the 'dacks with no road frontage.

Probably the most popular canoe venture is from Raquette to Long to Tupper lakes. Watch the group size, but it is a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...