http://www.meritbadge.com

Has a list of the merit badges that were changed this year. The only problem (as far as a discussion of the changes) is that it only shows the new requirements.

I would like to find someplace that shows the requirements in a redlined document that shows the new requirements with the old marked out.

I'll have to do a little looking before I reply to the original question.

The changes to the Swimming merit badge reverted back (almost) to they way they were 2 years ago. The racing turn & dive were removed. I thought these 2 requirements were a bit much for the badge.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

The one that comes to mind is the Swimming badge. My son and several others were working on this over Christmas break, and it was very confusing because the counselor had 1 set of rqmts, there was another set for 2001, and another for 2002. We went with the 2002 rqmts. I just hope that it does not change again anytime soon! It was pretty easy for my son and the other boys either way.

I had purchased the y2k merit badge rqmts book and didn't realize I might have to get a new book every year, or that the troop would have to purchase new books for changed badges. I do refer to the USSCOUTS website which has all changes indicated. We get some information from the council about badge and rank changes but I find the USSCOUTS site more up to date and detailed.

I am relatively new to Boys Scouts (my son is 11), how often do these kinds of changes to badges and ranks occur?

Several books/badges are changed every year. Meritbadge.com seems to keep up-to-date. I don't buy the requirement book any more I just use the stuff online. The MB pamphlets get outdated in the requirement area but most of the supporting reading material is pretty much the same. Yep, swimming reverted back. They had LOTS of complaints on the 2001 changes. They were requiring scouts to teach scouts swimming somewhat and I don't think it was a sharp idea.

Last year, Traffic Safty merit badge has new requirements and a new book was produced this January. National started a promotion for this new badge change and our unit was one of the first units to receive a $50 gift certificate for having 5 or more scouts receive the badge. I would like National to do this for every new badge change!