West Coast Camps

Aloha all,

I'm a relatively new scoutmaster here on Oahu in Hawaii. My Troop has decided that they want to attend a summer camp in 2007 on the mainland and have started the fundraising for it already. I'm looking for a camp now. The boys range primarily from 11 to 13 years old with a few older scouts mixed in so I need to find a camp that offers something for all ages. With the airfares I'm pretty much limited to the West coast I would think. Maybe something with a western flair? Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your time.

Rick

I recomend Wente Scout Reservation in Willits, Calif. Large waterfront for fishing,boating adn swimming. I'd be happy to speak to you directly if you want to pm a phone number to me. I also have information on CD from last years camp.

They also have a commisioners college for Eagle merit badges including the citizenship trio.

ScoutmasterRon, what is the weather like there at WSR? High's? Low's? Slightly north of the Bay Area, how is the swim in the lake? Water temp? Approximately how far apart are the programs areas? Thanks! We are looking to possibly go West as well.

1Hour

We've gone to Marin-Sierra 3 of the last 4 years, and we are going again this year. We are very happy with the program, they have a nice lake ( warmest in the area ), very good programs and exhuberant staff. Nice high adventure program for your older scouts.

Its located in the Sierra foothills, so you'd fly into Sacramento most likely. 5600 feet, 80's during the day, 60's in the evening.

http://boyscouts-marin.org/

Water is really warm, about a 3 hour drive north of SF, program areas fairly close together only the corral & archery are a walk but not too bad.

If you want the CD let me know & I'll mail it to you.

The other camp in the Sierra's is Chawanakee (not sure if it's the correct spelling) I've not been there personally but have heard nothing but good things about it.

http://www.sfbac.org/camping/wentecamp/index.cfm