Anybody been to Camp Bonner?

• 1 month later...

We were at Camp Bonner two years ago and they had a good program. The only drawback to our stay was the heat and high humidity (really, really hot), and the biting black gnats that seemed to attack late in the afternoon for about an hour. Nothing fazed them ... deet attracted them! The food was ok (standard camp fare) and the dining hall air conditioned. We'd go back again.

You might also look at Bayport Scout Reservation in Middlesex County, VA. It's brand new, has great facilities and some unique programs and will open for its inaugural year in 2007. See the Colonial Virginia Council website for more information.

• 5 months later...

I went last month for a vist it was good if you are a large troop contact the campmaster first but other than that it is preety nice. I will be goin the last week of camp they offer if u go that week messeage me and i might see you there.

also if u go preorder shirts because they sell out fast(This message has been edited by bearpatrolleaderinctown)

• 3 weeks later...

My son's troop just got back from Camporee where my husband approached several of the people wearing Bonner paraphernalia. Everyone raved about it, and they were from several different troops. Depending on the time of summer, you may get a good breeze most of the day. Our troop is looking forward to it with great anticipation. We even got some of our boys to do Coastal Adventures.

I have e-mailed several times with their e-mail contact and he has been very helpful.

• 4 months later...

At our troop meeting last night, the boys decided they''d like to try Pamlico Sea Base for 2008. Looking for comments, advice, critiques. We are about 4 hours away by car. I note in the literature that adult leaders are not required to attend...how does that work out?

Scoutldr, if you PM me with an email address, I will put you in touch with the guy who organized our troop''s Sea Base expedition this summer. He kayaked, I didn''t, and so he can probably give you more detailed pointers than I can. If you''re doing the US Sailing School, we had some boys and an adult who did that program too.

As for lack of adults - for kayaking your boys will be in a trek crew and that may include adults & scouts from other troops (if you have a small contingent) and adult guides from the Sea Base. I suspect they could be the two-deep leaders, but based on the feedback I''ve heard from our group, I don''t know how well that would work out in reality. Our group had many very positive things to say about Pamlico, but the two main negatives were that the food was inadequate in quantity and quality, and the Sea Base staff/trek leaders hardly interacted at all with the youth once they got off the water each night.

Not to scare you off though - they all (adults and boys) said they''d go back in a heartbeat, if the chance presented itself.

We sent some boys on a trek there this summer for a week. We didn''t (couldn''t) provide any adult leaders, and the camp provided two. The boys had an absolutely great time. I don''t think I heard any negative comments, other than they were really tired after their hardest day of kayaking. I don''t think they encountered either of the problems that Lisa mentions, but that just may be the luck of the draw. Your comfort level on not sending any adult leaders may depend on which boys you are sending. Ours were older boys, and none of the parents mentioned any concerns before or after.

Thanks for the replies. After talking to the SM who returned from out of town today, we may try to steer them to their second choice, Bayport Scout Reservation Chase Program. They went to Bayport this year and loved it. Plus, it''s closer by 3 hours. Don''t know...still kicking it around.

scoutldr, if you do that I hope it isn''t based on my comments. I spoke with our adult leaders who went with our boys to Pamlico the other night and they all enthusiastically recommended it. From the sound of things, there were some glitches that resulted in the two issues I mentioned previously, but all of our adults were of the opinion that those were unusual circumstances and not the norm. It really is a superb program.

(That said, I don''t know Bayport so I can''t compare the two)

Camp Bonner is located within our district so we go there regularly. They put on a monthly "MB weekend" program that we have had great success with. Pamilico Sea Base is ran separately from Bonner and though we have yet to attend any of the programs there I have heard nothing but good things from Troops that have.

No worries, Lisa. I appreciate the candor, but it''s not the deal breaker. I think my fellow leaders may want to attend, but not sure our 50-something pot bellies will still fit in a kayak :-). We''re still considering all options...our boys are all Star/Life and are looking for something beyond the standard summer camp fare, which is all our council camp offers.

scoutldr,

Feel free to contact me anytime to discuss some things that your scouts may be interested in doing this summer.The 3 summer programs are not set in stone and i''ve created several custom weeks for units over the past few years. We''ve made alot of exciting changes to the 2008 season including an overhauled sailing program. My email and cell phone # are listed under "Contact" on the website at www.pamlicoseabase.org

"I note in the literature that adult leaders are not required to attend...how does that work out? " - In these situations we send two guides with the crew. Most of our guides are between 21 and 23.

-Reggie

PS;If just you and your leaders want to attend your more than welcome, our kayaks are very spacious. We''ll call it "Adult Leader Training".