My opinion - the number one quality of a good camp is experienced, enthusiastic staff. Of course, those wonderful staffers won't be worth much without a well-planned program.

So, in a tie for number one, progressive type programs: a first year camper program, something for the 2nd-3rd year campers, and then some high adventure for the older guys.

Attend a camp without either of these two items (or, worse, without both) and it will probably not be a very pleasant experience.

I'm sure everyone will have their own take on what makes a good camp. Here's my 3 cents.

WELL-TRAINED STAFF. The staff delivers the program, from instructional boating and swimming to merit badges and everything else. A quality camp makes sure that all of the staff knows what their jobs are, how their jobs serve the troops who camp there, and hold the staff accountable for delivering the program that the scouts expect. Most of this stems from the attitude at the top - the camp director and his deputies.

COMMUNICATION. Establishing a relationship with a camp should not be like making a hotel reservation. It certainly can't be done by just consulting web sites. A good camp will engage in a dialogue with the troop before they attend. This provides a way to let troops know what to expect: showers in campsites or at a central location? private or shared-with-the-public lake? limitations (age requirements) for special activiites (such as climbing tower or C.O.P.E program)? accomodations for special needs? troop responsibilites? food arrangements (do troops do their own cooking or eat in a dining hall)? This kind of open and advance conversation lets everyone know what to expect, so there are no big surprises -- maybe just a bunch of small, pleasant surprises.

ATTITUDE. This works both ways. A camp that has an attitude of wanting and trying to do everything possible to serve their guest troops has a major advantage over a camp that doesn't, regardless of the assortment of activities. The best facility won't overcome poor attitude from the staff. On the other hand, troops using the camp's services also need to be considerate and not expect to be waited upon as though they were staying in a 5-star hotel. Expect to clean your own latrines, be on time for meals in the dining hall, wait your turn politely when necessary, offer to do a conservation project to benefit the camp, provide extra eyes on the waterfront, etc. Be flexible: the camp staff can't be blamed for closing the waterfront when a thunderstorm comes up. Say "thank you" to the staff. Smile! and have fun.

Most of the complaints I hear about camp are about the food.

This is our third year of contracting out the food service.

Year one was fair, last year it was really bad.

Small portions and just not very good.

This year we have a new company and they seem to be doing a good job.

While I'm happy to obey and follow BSA and local rules. I have a hard time when Camps seem to forget that the Scouts and myself are shelling out hard earned money to be there.

I'm aware that I'm a guest and will conduct myself and expect the Scouts I'm with to conduct themselves as guests, but we are paying guests.

We are paying to have a good time.

We are realistic enough to know that not all of our expectations will be met, but we hope that every effort will be made to help meet them.

If something isn't working or going as it should, we want it fixed. Not be told to put it in the weeks end camp evaluation sheet.

While I understand that Camp Staffs are made up of the people we serve, I would hope that they know and understand that they are there to serve and meet the needs of the campers. The campers are not there for their amusement or ridicule.

There will be times when we may not want to participate in all the camp activities. I would hope that the Camp staff understand this and respect it.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

Why a food service?

The camp my troop attends has its own cook (just like waterfront director, shooting range director, etc.) who oversees youth staff members.

The leaders at camp discussed food service with our Camp Director at the end of the week. The food was always hot when it should be, cold when it should be, and there was plenty to eat. You want seconds? They're available. Everything is served family style except for a fantastic outdoor barbeque picnic on Picture Nite. Nothing ran out.

The Camp Director told us that he is able to provide the quality and quantity of food he does for almost the same price as he would have to pay a commercial service - and then there would be smaller portions, etc., etc.

The food was excellent all week. The boys said so, both in my troop and in the other troops present. They liked the variety, the "freshness" (it didn't taste like steam table, except for the peas), and the "kid appeal" (meaning stuff they like - not junk food).

Maybe if we all avoid the camps with the commercial food services....!

Some good comments already. I would second the idea that the #1 item is a well-trained staff with a positive attitude. They need to act like they WANT to be there working with your scouts.

The second thing is a well-run program. This is the job of the program director and commissioners. Well-run MB programs, fun evening activities, good campfires, etc. are all part of what make Summer Camp fun.

The third thing is a diverse program, with attractions for all ages of scouts. We need to keep the first year guys busy but also challenge the fourth and fifth year guys so they'll want to come back.

The final thing I would mention is facilities. Whether it's the dining hall or the latrines, it's hard to enjoy a camp that is in bad shape.

I think food is important, but we can (and have) survived a week with mediocre food.

I am not sure many people come to Summer Camp to enjoy the unique cuisine, but having said that, the food still has to be edible and the kids have to want to eat it. The hamburgers that subsequently doubled as floor hockey pucks were not a real hit as you may imagine.

I had my son on staff a few years back and gained a completely different perspective. Staff run their butts off and its easy for us to say the answer is hire more staff, then there would be those who complain about the cost of camp. So the council does a juggling routine, charge enough for a competent staff, but not so much as to drive away customers. Having staff who care about the campers experience is the the number one priority and not viewing the campers as chattel. Brings to mind a story from the first year I went to camp ::shudders::

Enthusiastic staff and decent food is what I would look for.

Adults look for different things than the boys.

Good Qualities (adult list)

1. Lack of mosquitos

2. Good staff organization

3. Trading post that does NOT sell candy or pop/soda.

4. Bad (or better yet, non-existent) cell phone reception

5. Good programs for older Scouts

6. Experienced staff

Good Qualities (youth list)

1. Fun staff

2. Climbing tower

3. Good food

4. Climbing tower

5. Easy merit badges

6. Climbing tower

7. Good fishing

8. Non-cranky adults