I really need some help!

My son and I are working on his Citz. in the Nation, and we are stuck on requirment #6 & #7, the "counselor came and gave him the "requirement sheet" but left lots of questions unanswered.

#6 says list 5 funtions of the national goverment..are they wanting answers like: National defence, FBI, postal service, interstate highways? Or are we totally off base with the question?

#7 how the federal goverment is financed..We could think of taxes, and barrowing and loaning money...

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance

Do you have a copy of the Merit Badge phamplet? Can you borrow a copy from the library or the Troop?

These are answered in the MB booklet.

You are right on target for both questions. But I suggest getting the MB booklet to read a paragraph about each one.

sctmom had a great answer.

(by the way derek's mom, I hope you're not helping too much, as we remind the parents in my son's troop "We only give one of you the merit badge, there shouldn't be any doubts about who really earned it.) :)

You can buy the Merit Badge pamphlets at your local Council or Scout Shop. I would recommend you first check with the troop, they should have a complete set of all booklets. Or maybe another scout who has earned this badge. Also, check the public library and the school library.

They books costs 3 to 4 dollars. It can get expensive if you buy every one your son works on.

Thanks to both of you...

Bob, I appreciate your concern on "who" is earning the badge...He has done the work with my "Encouragement" and help when he has been stuck...he is stuck now...and not being a MB Counselor I really needed some help so that he does not get discouraged and quit working on the badge all together. I have been very impressed and happy with the work that he has put into this badge...thanks bunches!!

Derek's mom, I agree with what the others have said. Help your son find the resources to answer the question (of which the merit badge pamphlet is one), and then let him figure the answers out on his own.

MB pamphlets may be purchased at your council's Scout Shop if there is one, and Eagle-required ones (like Citizenship in the Nation) are often also found at Scout distributors. In other words, go wherever you bought your son's uniform and they will probably have it. However, for an Eagle-required MB like this, your troop may very well have it in its troop library, or one of your son's friends who has already earned the badge may have it.

I cannot help, though, giving YOU a bit of help with question 6. Your list of functions mixes together two things: Functions, and Agencies that carry out functions. National defense is a function of the federal government. The FBI is an agency that carries out a function (law enforcement and criminal investigations.) The Postal Service is an agency (actually it is an independent corporation governed by government-appointed directors) that carries out the postal function. The planning and building of interstate highways is a function.

I hope that helps.

Hmmm....waited too long to edit.

NJ brings up a good point and I agree with him on Function vs Agency and I would require the Scout to know the difference before I signed the card. Not a big problem, but it is an important distiction to make and understand.

Thank you again...

I am glad to hear I was somewhat on the right track...Derek called the counselor and asked if they could have a meeting so that he could better explain it to him...what a great kid!

Thanks again for all the help and comments

Our local library has almost all the MB books. Some are out of date with respect to the requirements but the supporting information is pretty much the same. They also have older books which while no longer in use are good for entertainment........Beekeeping, etc. Check your local library too.