question : Can we let the boys do this?

My first year as camp director of cub day camp is a learning experience. I have a question that I need a quick and correct answer to and I can't find it. We are making an obstacle course for the last day of camp. DH wants to have the cubbies crawl across a rope ladder above a 2' deep pool. I have already cleared the activity with the powers that be but there is the question of how tall to make the rope ladder. It will be horizontal across the pool, not up, not up at an angle. GTSS says horizontal climbing walls are ok for all ages, nothing about rope ladders. Can someone point me in the right direction before Saturday???

By the way, I am getting my beads on Sunday.

Back to Gilwell, Happy Land!

Kristi

I Used to be an Eagle . . .

I know this isn't quite the same thing, but hopefully it can be a start. The rule for Boy Scout summer camps (can't remember what that big book of rules is called) says that monkey bridges can't be over 6 feet high (unless part of a high ropes course).

Kristi,

Two feet deep of water is more than deep enough for a child to drown himself in (yes, I am talking about 8-10 year olds).

YOU REALLY NEED TO ASK YOUR COUNCIL EXECUTIVE BOARD HEALTH AND SAFETY PERSON FOR INPUT ON THIS!!!

Remember, feedback is a gift :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Council approved the water depth. I even asked if I needed an aquatic's director and/or a lifeguard. They said I didn't. I plan to have an adult at each end of the ladder and one in the pool. In the GTSS it says that monkey bridges "should not be constructed higher than 5 feet above flat surfaced ground nor longer than 40 feet." It goes on to say "never allow unaccompanied children on the bridge." Mine will be 36" high and 8 1/2' long and the children will have a parent there with them. Does this mean that mine is ok? It is a rope ladder bridge though, not a monkey bridge. The ladder also has stabalizers on both ends to keep it from twisting. We are calling the obstacle course "Bug Fear Factor" to go with our Cubs and Bugs theme.

Feedback is fine with me ;-), that is why I came here. You never know when you might overlook something that someone else will notice.

Kristi

If only one boy is on the bridge at a time, then it sounds like you have the safety angles covered. The person in the water can follow along with each boy in case anyone starts to fall through. Maybe 2 adults in the water would be better. Some of these boys are quite big, and I know I wouldn't be strong enough to help get one of them back on the bridge.

Don't know the "book answer" but I would recommend a "spotter" (think gymnastics) who can immediately step in and "rescue" or break the fall of a scout who becomes entangled. Two feet of water is not enough to break a fall if they land head first. "Fun without paraplegia" is my motto.

There will only be one boy per time on the entire course. The person in the water will act as a spotter and a helper. I know that 2 feet of water is not much to break a fall but 36" on the high ends with a slope in the middle from their weight shouldn't be too much of a fall either. I just want the boys to be safe and have fun but I also wanted to make sure that 36" was allowed as someone told me that whatever the "climb" it shouldn't be over waist high for the smallest tiger. 36" comes to my tiger's chest.

Kristi

The bridge will be 36" high? That's 3 feet (size of a yard stick). The depth of the water it will be hung over is 2 feet. That leaves a 1 foot gap between the bridge and the water. Not a very big fall (a fall from the average couch is 1 1/2 foot). Your spotter is not likely to be catching a falling lad - more likely to be scooping him up.

Sounds like fun - and if the powers that be have already approved, go for it. And maybe bump up the height of the bridge to 4 or 5 feet - I don't think that would be too high for them. I'd be willing to bet (uh, scratch that - no gambling in scouts) that most of the lads are jumping off diving boards that are more than a foot above the water.

CalicoPenn

This sounds like a really fun event for Cub Scout aged boys so there must be a problem somewhere, its Murphys Law. As Calico Penn has pointed out the space between the bridge and the water allows for little catch space. As the bridge will not be able to twist the scout will have to fall over board so that will increase the spotters chances of interception. The height of the bridge from ground level does throw things into the Climb on Safely category. The bridge could be at shoulder height for some scouts this puts it into a range where safety becomes a factor. When a scout is on his hands and knees and is higher than shoulder height above the ground, a restraint is recommended. All this only comes into play if someone is hurt and things go to court. My only recommendation is dont get the bridge too high from ground level, and Have FUN!

LongHaul