Provisional Camper

My son wants to attend a regular Boy Scout Summer Camp, complete with dining hall, lots of crafts, a waterfront, etc. Since his troop runs their own week long summer camp, he will have to attend as a Provisional Camper, either assigned to another troop, or at a special Provisional Troop session. Along with general feedback about provisional campers, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a BSA camp in Wisconsin or Illinois that does a good job with Provisional Campers.

Your son probably stands a better chance of enjoying the experience if you send him with scouts in another unit that he might know. Are there other troops in your town or district you might approach about taking on a provisional?

I actually lived in Wisconsin a few years back, but can't speak to specific camps that might do a good job handling provisionals.

Good luck.

Your son probably stands a better chance of enjoying the experience if you send him with scouts in another unit that he might know. Are there other troops in your town or district you might approach about taking on a provisional?

I actually lived in Wisconsin a few years back, but can't speak to specific camps that might do a good job handling provisionals.

Good luck.

Camp Tomahawk in the Northern Star Council (www.northernstarbsa.org) has a good camp.

A scout from our troop always has soccer the week when we traditionally go to camp so he went to camp with an 'All-Star' troop to Many Point Scout Camp and had a great time last year. I expect he'll do the same this year. It is a troop made up of scouts that could not attend with their own troops but really wanted to do camp.

Just think about that - some pretty motivated scouts that really want to be at camp will probably be a great group to be with.

We have had a scout in a similar situation to the scout Sir Scout-a-lot described. He would go to our council camp a different week with the Provisional troop. He had a blast.

As Mn noted, these are scouts that usually really want to be at Camp.

At our council camp, the SM and the SPL of the provisional troop are assigned camp staff. They are usually two of the best staff members available and go out of their way to may sure all their scouts, er scouts they serve, have a great time the week they choose to attend camp. The provisional troop at our council camp is always one of the most enthusiastic units that show up on the parade ground, and they sure look like they're having fun.

SA

CubsRgr8 -

I see you are from Milwaukee. Milwaukee County Council runs one of the best Summer Camps I have ever attended - Lefeber Northwoods Camp in Laona, Wisonsin. We are out of council, but have attended LNC for the past 8 years, and are returning for number 9. Give them a call and ask about provisional troops. LNC is a Patrol Method camp, however, where troops cook their own meals. PM me if you want some more information.

We had a scout who attended camp as a provisional scout last year because of a scheduling conflict and had a great time. This year, he wants to do it again even though the conflict doesn't exist this year. However, this particular scout doesn't get along well with the other scouts in the troop and perhaps he just likes to start fresh each summer.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's great to hear about the positive experiences you've observed. I've identified several camps in Wisconsin that gladly accept provisional campers and three (Ed Bryant, Tesomas, and Bear Paw) that actually set up Provisional Troops. That sounds like the best route for my son, as he does not know any scouts in other troops. Thanks again!

Cubs, I didn't catch your son's age? Is he new to boy scouts this year? Will this be his first time at boy scout camp? Or is he older and just wants a different experience than what his troop usually provides? If he's new to the troop or to boy scout camp, then of course you want to look extra hard at how the camp sets up their provo program. Some are probably more suited to older boys than younger ones.

One thing you might want to ask about is the typical age group for provo campers at the camps in question. Last year my son went as a provo camper and he was at least 3 years younger than all the other boys in his provo troop.

Also ask about the provo SM and ASMs (how many, ratio of adults to boys, and how they're chosen). While the SM of my son's troop last year was a nice person, he was a young-ish college student who didn't seem to have much experience with younger kids. And he only had one ASM (also a very young adult). The two of them really had their hands full because the provo troop contained about 40 boys. Later on I heard that for this particular camp, such an experience was typical. Had we known that going in, we might've chosen to find somewhere else for my son to go.

My son still had an ok time but it would've been better if there had been some boys his own age and if there had been somewhat better staffing.

Lisa'bob

30 years ago I went as Provisional camper. I had already attended that same BSA camp at least one time. One summer I went a week with my troop and two weeks as provisonal. I had a blast. The SM was a college grad Eagle and very "Scouty".

I went to get another Mile Swim award and earn a couple more merit badges. My parents said at the time they could not feed me at home for the same cost as camp. The provisional camp site was the furtherest from all activities so it gave me lots of opportunity to roam over the large grounds. Lots of personal freedom. I relished it.

I can see where a shy scout with limited confidence could feel overlooked. Provisional is going to require more personal drive to ensure you get off to classes and back on time because it is more difficult for the provisional SM to know each boys weak and strong points.

Lisabob,

My son will be a second year camper, although young for his grade. I appreciate your insights and will follow through on them before sending him off. That said, since both parents attend his troop's summer camp as leaders, he's quite happy to spend a week away from us, hence the desire to try out provisional camp. He went to a week long computer camp last summer without knowing anyone there and had enough fun that he signed up to go again.

Thanks again to everyone for their insights!

• 2 weeks later...

As a Girl Scout two of my greated camp experiences was when I went to a camp in Alabama and one in Washington St. where I was the only one from my troop going. Met lots of great people. One girl and I still write and that has been over 40 years ago.