Summer Camp 2007 -Which is the Best

How 'bout a survey?

If next year was the last year your scout was going to camp (and here we are not talking about the national H.A. programs- just really good summer programs)...Where would you take your boys?

To be instructional/useful for those troops who will not travel by air/train lets break it into time zones....Eastern, Central,Mountain, and Pacific...

perhaps, list camp name, council and zone...and a couple (or more) reasons why you like it...

anyone want to play?

for starters:

Camp Rodney, Del Mar Va, Eastern

reasons: great waterfront programs, good clean facilities and staff consistantly trained and motivated to treat you as a valued customer...and not like someone disturbing their summer vaction....

let the games begin!

ANARCHIST

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camp Laramie Peak, Mountain Man Camp, Guernsey, WY

Longs Peak Council, Mountain Time Zone

Why: This is THE BEST Mountain Man Camp I have ever experienced. It is run by a Caddo by the name of Gray Coon. They learn a multitude of mountain man skills. They work hard, they play hard, and the boys love it! It is great enough that each summer he has to turn away volunteers! Some live in teepees, some in log cabins. (They are actually all called lodges...some are canvas "teepees", some are long-houses or round-houses.) They learn fire-starting, trap setting, 'hawk throwing, knot-tying, arrow-building, knapping, etc. They are separate from the base camp most of the week, but do join up at the closing campfire. They suffered a fire several years back, but are trying to get the metal-working area rebuilt, too.

Camp Big Springs - Resica Falls Scout Reservation - Marshalls Creek PA

Cradle of Liberty Council, Eastern Zone

Reasons: The camp is amazing. Not only is the program put together really well, but the staff is awsome. Last year was my first year going to the camp and i fell in love with it. There is so much besides merit badges that the scouts can do with their time. Swimming down by the river, boating, etc. Also, they just built a brand new pool and shower house which is huge. Individual showers with private changing areas. Out of all of the camps i have been to, this one is the best. The food is great. Normally when i am leaving camp, I feel like i had fun but not all the scouts did. Last year, every scout left with a smile on his face and we are still talking about the summer!

Camp Joy- Okaw Valley Council, IL

Decent camp with dining-hall eating. The lake is not the greatest, but the Waterfront Director two years ago was great! COPE and the climing tower was a bunch of fun.

Camp Sunnen- Trail West Council, IL --camp in southern Missouri

Nice camp on a 1000 acre lake. The waterfront offers multiple merit badges including canoeing, swimming, lifesaving, motorboating as well as BSA Lifeguard. Decent climbing tower, but no COPE course. Has a golf course very close to property as well as a YMCA camp right across the lake. Patrol cooking done in campsites breakfast and dinner while lunch is under a pavillion.

Camp Marin-Sierra, Marin Council, CA

Well organized program, good selection of merit badges, very good waterfront and really good food, most cooked from scratch ( this is a big deal for the leaders :-) ).

High Adventure program this year includes COPE, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, motorboating/wakeboarding and an overnighter.

The last couple of times we went there, we had a campsite on the outside edge of the property overlooking the Yuba river drainage, and every night we had the most spectacular sunsets to enjoy.

Only drawback is they are fairly close to the freeway, so you hear the big trucks pretty often.

Camp Lewallen-Greater St. Louis Area Council

60 miles south of St. Louis

Been about 4 times, they have a extremely well trained and dedicated staff. Outstanding Voyager program (first year scouts). Not to mention some of the best food around. I gained weight at my last summer camp. Check it out @ stlbsa.org

• 2 weeks later...

The best summer camp of all? Thats easy,

Its the one where the first year scout struggles and fails on Sunday. Monday, and Tuesday to pass the swimmers test, completes it on Wednesday leaving the waterfront to a standing ovation by all present and floats back to his campsite...

Its the one where the scouts while walking to flag raising come across a deer and its fawn, end up missing the flag raising, but will always remember the sight of the fawn nursing on its mother...

Its the one where our scoutmaster leads a loud silly song in the dinning hall, who knew he could be so much fun?

Its the one with the roaring closing campfire and skits by each troop that are funny and original...

Its the one where a group of friends sleep under the stars around a campfire, talking about hopes, dreams and the future and fervently wishing each day to end as this one does...

Its the one where a scout is unsure of his scout skills, but with determination earns the Pioneering meritbadge and ends up teaching the adults in his troop how to do an eye splice...

Its the one where a scout can go all week without taking a shower, because swimming in the lake counts...

Its the one where on Saturday you wish you could rewind time and do it all over again, even the bee sting on Wednesday.

Here's hoping the Camp you attend is the best ever!(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

It will be hard to beat OGE but I'm going to give it a try - and with just one sentence:

It's the one the lads are still talking excitedly about the next year.

CalicoPenn

PS: As for Anarchist's question: Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation, Northeast Illinois Council located near Antigo, Wisconsin. Three camps - two of which offer full programs with their own dining hall, waterfront, etc. (West Camp and East Camp). Full waterfront programs in both camps including motorboating and sailing. The other camp (Wabaningo) is a wilderness/pioneer camp for up to three units at a time. These units provide their own equipment and programs, and do their own cooking though they can arrange to participate in most of the programs of the reservation. West Camp has a barrier-free campsite for special needs units or troops with wheelchair bound lads/adults. The reservation has its own, fully functional, horse ranch (the Triangle M Ranch) which offers horse programs, riding experiences and overnights. Whitewater rafting on the Wolf River is available to units. Camp sessions are two weeks in duration, and the units take (comfortable) coach buses to the reservation. The reservation also has a family camp with 8 cabins so that leaders spouses/other children can also enjoy a vacation in the north woods. East and West Camps have their own trading post but Family Camp has a centrally located "Country Store" that Scouts can also visit - pizza parties can be arranged at the Country Store. The council's OA Lodge presents one of the most impressive OA call out ceremonies I've ever seen 4 times in the summer on the mid-session Friday night with the work weekend taking place right that very weekend. With advance notice, and with permission from the home lodge, the lodge is willing to let out of council OA nominees complete their work weekend at the camp. CP

The hills of Osceola, are calling me today

Come back along the Scouting trail, their voices seem to say.

I dream of wooded valleys, and pathways that I knew

And think oh, Osceola dear, I'm coming back to you.

The H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation of the Heart of America Council, St Clair County Missouri, the HOAC home of the Great Tribe of Mic-o-Say

High above the broad Kaw valley

Stands the cainp we love --

Mid the elm and tall Oak branches,

With God's sky above.

Here we say that on our honor

We will ever be

Loyal Scouts, and ever faithful

Dear Camp Naish to thee.

The Theodore Naish Scout Reservation of the Heart of America Council, BSA, Bonner Springs, KS, home of Tamegonit Lodge 147 WWW.

During summer camp we bed down 1800 - 2000 Scouts and leaders every night

1500 at Bartle, 500 each in Camps Lone Star, Sawmill, and Piercing Arrow

300 Boy Scouts or Webelos in Central Camp Naish

240 Bear Cub Scouts (1/1 with parents) in Bear Camp at Naish

This summer I will serve on both properties... what a way to spend some serious vacation time :)