Bathing suits at camp

This topic is very dear to my heart. As a 1st time camper I looked forward to the "Bathing Beauty Contest" held each week at camp. Those secure enough in their manhood would don the bikini and citrus fruit of choice :) bathing cap and rough and strut the pier to the hoots and hollers of the camp. I swear I have 8mm footage taken by my father, it's hilarious. This practice was discontinued my second year much to the disappointment of the boys. As a competitive swimmer all during my Scouting days I would always wear my team colors (Speedo) as would the other swimmers. We had heavier suits used by divers for guard duty because they didn't snag as easily on the perch or row boat.

As a Scoutmaster I usually wear spandex which comes down to mid calf but any bunchiness would still be noticeable I guess, never really thought about it....except.....one summer a college student of the female persuasion was hired to run our sailing base. Being a competitive swimmer, gymnast, and very long in the leg she filled out her suit to the distraction of many of the adult males. Said suit was of the one piece variety and looked like something my mother would have worn in the 50's, it was not spandex or any other skin tight fabric. She still caused a stir and ended up be asked not to return. Today we hire girls who wear much tighter and more revealing, due to the form fittedness, suits without problems.

LongHaul

"Unwritten rule of speedo wearing - No speedo wearing if over 25 (or European)."

I resemble that remark!!

Was someone looking for a Diversity Ticket item?

Eamonn

PS Judging from our last swim session I think a lot of our male Sea Scouts are going to be plumbers.

If we are all Scouts and doing 'our best' with the Oath and Law why introduce another rule? Anything that upsets is another great opening for a discussion about the Oath and Law. Also men are not women. Why expect a 'standard' when we are so obviously and thankfully different?

The attitude is way more important than the clothing.

Here we are more concerned about skin cancer. "Slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, slap on a hat, and wrap on some sunglasses". If there is any skin left exposed then blow whistles, throw ice and 90% uv proof shade cloth.

You guys are rich! I find myself checking in often these days, just to see what else has been posted on this thread! Great entertainment! ;)

Just for the record...Unless the physique is DYNAMITE, speedos on men are repulsive looking...but then so are bikinis with a pooch and a torpedo bust.

Keep sending the chuckles! Ma

This is from the Florida Sea Base Leader's Guide -

"ALL SWIMMING ATTIRE MUST BE MODEST. For men, Speedo-type swimsuits are not appropriate; swimsuits should have liners in them. For women, bikinis are not appropriate; one-piece swimsuits and tankini suits are considered appropriate"

Recently I was looking back at some slides of Summer Camp and High Adventure Canoe trips from the late 70's / early 80's. WOW! Almost all the scouts were in skimpy speedo-style suits. Today they are almost all in baggy board short type suits. Kind of like looking at old videos of the NCAA basketball tournament where they used to wear small mid thigh shorts, and now the shorts are down below their knees! Times change!!

Wow, this one is lot more fun than politics. I vote for the speedo. It is still a one-piece bathing suit and if the wearer isn't self-conscious about the appearance, we all know what's underneath don't we? And, I mean, females who bring a bikini...they can easily make it a one-piece, just pick which piece..;)

Seriously though, if older or overweight persons want to wear speedos, they should just get a bikini wax. Painful, yes, but it makes all the difference in esthetics. ;) Did I mention painful? And now there's the image of an older overweight man getting a wax job....uuuuuuggggggh.