Sorry to jump off topic, BUT Mike said "Cumberland Island". Oooh, ooh, I want to go! I live in Georgia.

I mentioned Cumberland to someone who is a ASM with a local troop and he said something about "too hard to get reseverations".

Ah, the ferry ride over, the wild horses running through the marsh, the ruins of Carnegie homes, the solitude, the beaches, the LACK of civilization. If anyone has anyone to get your boys to this island off the southern coast of Georgia, by all means do so. At least for a day trip. You will all have the time of your life. They limit how many people go over each day. They were doing "leave no trace" before it was called that. You must carry everything in and out. There are no drink machines, no snack bars, just a few restrooms, the boat dock, some mansion ruins, and a beautiful island. There is a hotel but VERY expensive.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Our troop recently went from small to large. We try to get the school calendar in Sept and plan based on that, allowing for the religious holidays, legal holidays and even Mother's day and Father's day. Once we have a date set for an outing or campout, we do not change it. With only 5 in the troop, it would be tempting to try and manage the date of the activity in order to accomodate everyone, but don't do it. Five is pretty small but it can work. There are even some advantages over larger troops. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Great photos and website! Also, happy to see Mrs. Long was with the guys. :)

I see also you are going to Camp Rainey this summer. We live on the southside of Atlanta. Haven't been to Camp Rainey but here it is nice.

Thanks.

The guys like her as she is fearless with critters and has a huge knowledge of plants and animals. She's a trooper.

I personally have never been to Rainy either but the Troop went two years ago and loved it. Too nasty hot to do Summer Camp in Florida. I'm going this year and am looking forward to it.

Hi Merrit,

We have some rough ideas for months out to one year and a major annual focus. We plan in detail only three months ahead. We do not plan in detail any earlier because too many things change...including my work!

I work around sporting carnivals and thus must wait for them to come out. The other sections (webelos etc I think you have) get our draft programs so that we can link at least once each program and so that my older scouts can help the cub leader for specific events. This has been excellent in encouraging kids to progress up to the scout troop.

We camp locally except for big events so that scouts can attend before and after sport.

Might I suggest that you link with another Troop in your area if you want to have bigger numbers for a specific reason? I know that our scouts really enjoy meeting the other scouts but we do not make a habit of this.

I echo Chipewa29's comment that advancement makes scouts realise that they are missing out on more than they might first think. It takes a while for this effect to be realised however. Be patient.

I started a new troop and was concerned about numbers. More than 20 seems to work best. To give the troop a marketable image I have organised an overseas trip. This has also given us incredible focus although I have often wondered at my sanity.

I recommend you focus your annual program on a big event in an interesting place. Choose a Jamboree, summer camp or such to cut back the planning for yourself. It keeps your scouts focussed and it is a pretty cool thing for them to tell their non-scout mates about.

Many leaders say that your program alone will attract new members. In my experience (5 different small troops over 15 years) this is not true. Or more correctly it is very slow and your enthusiasm can be severely tested. Get a business person-parent to develop and manage marketing to accompany your program.

When we return from Vanuatu I will have articles in every paper, newsletter and tv station that I can find. Even the fund raising activities for our trip has given us a good public profile.

• 2 years later...

Our troop plans a calendar for the entire year. The boys (PLC) pick the events and decide what month to schedule them. For example, snow camp in January, Camporee in April, beach in July, summer camp in August, etc. The adult leaders then review school and personal calendars and set the specific date within the month the boys selected. The calendar is reviewed by the PLC, approved by the committee, and published. Once published, the events are cast in stone. They happen, rain or shine. We've found it is impossible to rewrite the calendar everytime a conflict arises.

The Scoutmaster Handbook has a good discussion about how to conduct the annual planning conference. It works well for us.