Are we making it too easy or just taking the fun out of it?

In preparing for yet another training session I was going over the current edition of the GTSS, which I hear is being totally redone. I understand that National has taken the GTSS away from the profesional scouting staff and hired a profesional from the Risk Management sector to revamp the entire guide. They hope to have it available in print by August 2006. Anyway, I went online to check for current revisions and low and behold I found a new one dated January 9, 2006. It applies to Venturing Crews attending Boy Scout section camps. The old rule required a Venturer to be multi registered with a Troop to attend section camp, there by eliminating female Venturing Crew members. The new rule how ever states that Venturers need not be multiple registered nor must they attend with a Troop. So the campsite next to you could contain 14 to 18 year old GIRLS!! When I was a scout we had to walk 3 or 4 miles or swim 1/2 a mile across the lake to get to the GIRLS!! Now they are just a few feet away. Kinda takes the challenge out of it, which after all was the whole draw because I never heard of anyone actually succeeding in his quest. Though once we were on Staff and up there all summer.....

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

I understand that National has taken the GTSS away from the professional scouting staff and hired a professional from the Risk Management sector to revamp the entire guide.

I thought the Guide to Safe Scouting (GTSS) was written by lawyers to protect the BSA's assets, rather than risk experts from the insurance industry. If so, I doubt that anything would change unless it is decided that pioneering projects six feet off the ground are far too risky now :-/

Do you think that the politically correct rule against "laser tag" will soon be evaluated purely on the actual "risk" involved? :-/

Kudu

"Kinda takes the challenge out of it, which after all was the whole draw because I never heard of anyone actually succeeding in his quest."

For our boys, whether the campsite is next door or a swim and long trek away, I suspect the success rate will be about the same...about a 100% less than that claimed.