Someone mentioned to me that when I'm leading the upcoming Merit Badge class, I might want to have the boys play a little "Scout Trivia" to break things up some. This might be a good thing to have handy for lots of times where we need to "fill time" and at the same time maybe sharpen the boy's minds about scouting.

Ideas?

What are some good questions to have? Of course, a lot of this is NOT trivial but makes a game of it.

A few I have thought of are:

How many points in the Scout Law?

Name the ranks in Boy Scouting. (Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, Eagle)

What BSA program allows girls as members?(Venturing)

Others?

1. What are the required Eagle merit badges?

2. Name 5 things on the Scout outdoor essentials list?

3. Name 3 warning signals of a heart attack.

4. Where is another place you can wear merit badges besides on your sash?

5. Who founded Boy Scouts?

6. When did Boy Scout begin?

7. Who is Danial Carter Beard?

8. What is the name of the magazine published for Boy Scouts?

9. What four Scout Ranks require community service?

10. What are 3 ways to purify water?

1. Who was Boyce?

2. Where was Boyce from?

3. Where did Baden-Powell receive the most acclaim

for his military actions?

4. Who turned out to be the unknown Boy scout that

helped Boyce?

5. What significance do the beads on a Wood badge

toggle have?

6. What is the name of the plaid worn on a Wood

Badgers neckerchief and why is it called that?

7. What happened at Gilwell Park and Brownsea Island?

8. Who refused Baden-Powells marriage proposal saying

she was too much of an independent American woman?

9. What organization did Baden-Powells sister start

10. The Boy scout symbol has a star on the side by

side points, what do they represent

- Can girls join Boy Scouts? (Yes, in Venturing crews and Sea Scout Ships)

- What Boy Scout leadership position works with non-Boy Scouts? (Den Chief to a Cub Scout den)

- Scout Sunday occurs in what month?

- How long do you have to be in Scouting to earn your First Class rank? same for other ranks?

- What should you be able to do at an extinguished fire to know the fire is totally out?

- Name at least one famous Eagle Scout. (You might want to give a few examples as part of your introduction to the badge. I think President Ford was an Eagle, for an example that ties into Citizenship badges)

- What knot would you use to attach two ropes that are not the same thickness?

- What knot is easy to untie even when the rope is wet?

-

Hi Featherswillfly,

Good questions, but I'm confused on one. Shouldn't #9 read 5 ranks?

Unless you are not counting Eagle because you give leadership to a service project. But isn't giving leadership performing community service? If you chaired a committee like Toys for Tots aren't you doing community service?

Bob

Oh? You wanted answers too? You asked for just questions... ::slaps self:: wow, I am getting to literal...

my answers

1. Who was Boyce?

Boyce was the American business man the Unknown (more on him later) scout helped find an address in London. He brought back the idea of scouting to the US

2. Where was Boyce from?

Peoria Ill

3. Where did Baden-Powell receive the most acclaim

for his military actions?

Mafeking, in Africa during the Boer War

4. Who turned out to be the unknown Boy scout that

helped Boyce?

With a nod to NJ, who knows? Thats why he is the unknown boy scout (ok a trick question)

5. What significance do the beads on a Wood badge

toggle have?

Baden-Powell took a necklace off a dead chief after a battle. Later when he "specially" trained scout leaders he gave them a pair of beads from this necklace

6. What is the name of the plaid worn on a Wood

Badgers neckerchief and why is it called that?

The name of the plaid is the "Black Watch", its the plaid of the Royal Army and was naturally worn by B-P

7. What happened at Gilwell Park and Brownsea Island?

Gilwell Park is where the first advanced training of scouters took place and they received a pair of wooden beads (see above) Bronsea Island was the first Boy Scout camp and where B-P put togther the Scouting Program

8. Who refused Baden-Powells marriage proposal saying

she was too much of an independent American woman?

Juliet Gordon Lowe of Savannah, she also happens to be the founder of the Girls Scouts Of America (give bonus point for knowing that extra tidbit)

9. What organization did Baden-Powells sister start

The Girl Guides, seems B-P had a problem with Co-Ed units

10. The Boy scout symbol has a star on the side by

side points, what do they represent

The Oath and law

BTW, if there are errors in here, let me know, after all this is what I feel is right

Thanks, OGE

ONE correction, you misspelled the name of the founder of Girl Scouts -- Juliette Gordon Low (without an E).

Being from Georgia, I knew about her without ever being in Girl Scouts.

I like the trick question -- those are always fun.

OGE, I've got to go look up the answer to number 10. I was going over that with my son this weekend, I thought it was something like truth and honesty.

There is a good set of questions just from describing the Scout badge. I'm guessing that is one of those things the boys learn long enough to get it checked off and then forget.

OGE

You asked for any corrections

1&2 W.D. Boyce was a Chicago publisher who went to London to meet Baden Powell for the publishing rights to his Scouting for Boys handbook. (in anarticle years ago in scouting magazine it was questioned as to how much of the unknown scout story was true and how much was romanticized).He was not from Peoria, although the Council whose office is in Peoria is the W.D. Boyce Council. It is called that because Boyce had a summer home in Ottowa IL at the north end of the council, and he is buried there in Ottowa.

10. According to the Boy Scout Handbook the stars stand for Truth and Knowledge (pg 10)

OK, you got me on a bunch of these.

I read that Boyce was travelling THROUGH London on his way to Africa, when he was helped by the unknown Scout. He met with Baden-Powell on his way back through London to the U.S. In other words, he did not go to London to meet B-P. He didn't know anything about Scouting until the legendary fateful night in the fog. One source I read suggested that Boyce had an ulterior motive for promoting Scouting in the U.S. -- a ready-made corps of newspaper delivery boys for his newspaper!

I thought the plaid on the Woodbadge neckercheif was connected to the gentleman who donated Gilwell Park to the Scouts? I didn't think it had anything to do with B-P's plaid, if he even had one.

I thought the original Woodbadge beads were from a huge necklace GIVEN to B-P by an African chieftain (not taken from a deceased one) as a sign of respect for B-P.

Wish I had my official BSA History of Woodbadge book here at work with me to see what it says about these things! I believe the book is out of print now, but has some good stuff in it.

Ok, so I scored an 80 on my own test, just kinda shows you how hard those questions are.

I thought Boyce was from Peoria and settled in Chicago and then ended up in Ottawa. However since I ant prove it right now, I bow to your SUPERIOR (LOL) knowledge (Hee hee hee)

And Ok, number ten was wrong, I did that on purpose to see if anyone would catch it (did anybody buy that?, meet my wife, Morgan Fairchild)

Now that the work day is over on the East Coast and I have more time for research, here are my answers, for the origin of Wood Badge Beads I sued this:

http://www.usscouts.org/macscouter/woodbadge/wb-beads-legend.html

for the rest of the Wood Badge stuff I only have what I was told by a Wood Badge candidate, if I am wrong, I apologize, but hey mom, you sure got a boatload of quesitons, dont you?