Digital camera batteries during 2 week stay

Looking forward to next year's summer camp ...

How to you handle batteries for digital cameras over a two-week summer camp?

I have a Kodak camera that can run off of AA's but my beloved Nikon dSLR only uses rechargable batteries that may not last both weeks without recharging.

Ideas??

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how long your batteries will last. I have two batteries for my Digital Rebel and I took both of them to camp last summer. Plan was that when the one in the camera died, I'd just pop in the second. Turns out that I never even put a dent in the first battery after a week of camp. Also, in the spirit of "be prepared", I did bring the little charger just in case.

Most camps would be glad to let you recharge. I know my batteries for Nikon D70 only take two hours to be fully charged. They also last forever it seems. Helps that you don't and can't use the lcd screen to compose the shots. I just had to send back one of my batteries to Nikon, they had issued a recall on some the batteries for SLR D cameras. They may short out, overheat and melt. Check the Nikon site, search for battery recall (the web address took up 8 lines).

This could be a great opportunity for you to open up a discussion of alternative energy sources with your scouts. A couple of years back, I purchased a portable solar power charger that I use at campsites to recharge my digital camera batteries and power my laptop computer (I keep my laptop with me to download the pictures I take - I tend to take an enormous amount of photos in one day while on vacation and use the time while my campfire is working its way to a good cooking fire to download and organize the photos).

I looked up solar power battery chargers on the web and the technology is advancing even more - now there are lighter weight roll up solar cell rechargers that weren't readily available just two years ago - and even better - daypacks with solar cells and usb charger ports available - just keep the camera plugged in while hiking and you'll always have a charged up battery - and with today's tech savvy kids, don't be surprised if you don't see one (or more) of these at camp.

CalicoPenn

I bought a solar powered battery recharger to the Jamboree with me.

Lord knows there was no shortage of sun -But I wasn't impressed with the recharger.

OJ was on youth staff, so he was able to keep me well charged.

I have been getting a charge out of since the day he was born.

You might say I went from one Sun to another Son.

Eamonn.

My camera takes AA size batteries. Standard alkaline batteries last for just a few pictures if using the display. I use Monster Rechargable batteries: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5655855&type=product&id=1066095853137

I used one set of batteries up till Friday last year at Summer Camp when I finally had to put in a fresh set of batteries.

I have used Energizer Rechargeables and they seem to work OK if you take them right out of the charger and use them immediately, but it seems that if the batteries are in your camera bag for a week that they loose most of their charge. This is not true of the Monster batteries, they work great and hold their charge for a long time.

ASM59

Most adults multiple rechargeable batteries that need to be charged: cell phones, 2-way radios, weather radios, cameras, even those million-candlepower flashlights! By the time you get to the camp office to ask, they will be running out of outlets.

So if you bring along a multiple outlet strip they will be very happy to see you.

Kudu

• 3 months later...