Summer Camp 2006

• 2 months later...

We will be doing the Sea Kayaking Adventure at

Camp Blue Heron Located Near Savannah, Georgia.

A lot of our Sea Scouts will be on staff at Camp Conestoga in Somerset PA. (They will take time off to attend the camp.)

Her Who Must Be Obeyed and myself will also visiting friends and family in England and Ireland,sometime this summer.

A pal of mine is bringing his unit over from England to camp at Haliburton Scout Reserve, so I'm hoping that I can spend a few days in Canada. They will be there at the same time as NOAC so things ought not be to hectic.

Eamonn

Norway. if all goes to plan, we will be meeting up with a scout group from Norway , and staying at a campsite with them.

The travel plans are the Boat from Newcastle-upon tyne to Bergan/Stavanger, which will involve an overnight stay in cabins onboard.

This will be the first time the Scout troop has been abroad, and the first time i will be in a leadership position while on a Scouting trip abroad.

Fortunatly weve got a Leader in our scout group who is expeirienced at taking Scouts to Norway, and also knows the Scout leaders of the Group in Norway quite well, and i will be travelling as an Assistant Scout leader.

Pint,

Norway is wonderful.

I was there for the 1975 WSJ.

The country and the people are great.

I don't know if things have changed but everything was very expensive, far more so than in the UK at that time.

We had a adult leaders night out and the price of a pint would knock your socks off!! We took really small sips.

Eamonn.

summertime! summertime! sum, sum, summertime!

The bulk of our troop will be "doing time" at Blue Ridge Scout reservation, with about 75% doing the mountain man camp and 25% doing the water thing at Claytor, we will also have a crew going to Seabase (Out-Island Adventure) and a crew doing a week-long 110 mile James River canoe trek...

the more "out" in scouting programs the better!

anarchist

Our Troop will be headed down to Maryland to Rodney Scout Reservation on the Cheasapeake Bay. Great sailing program, The best first year scout program I have seen, and a great camp overall.

We camped at Ockanickon last year. Beautiful facilities but it really takes the camp part out of summer camp and replaces it with resort. It seems to be run more like a coporation than a boy scout camp. Had some problems with merit badge mill style of camp. 20 to 30 scouts in one class is a bit much for any youth staffer to handle. Had some scouts sign up the first day never go to the class or hand anything in and at the end of the week we got a completed blue card back. I enjoyed myself (especially the air conditioning and hot tub) but I think the scouts lost some expierences that would be made available to them at other camps.

Next Year we will be headed to Kittatiny Mountain Scout Reservation in Stokes State Forest. This is one of the most picturesque camps in the state. Their staff will bend over backwards to meet your program needs. The activites for adult leaders are great. The kids especially love the campwide KMSR Tin Man Competition. The older boy program is complete with High and Low Cope, Climbing, rafting trips on the delaware, mountain biking programs, and backpacks on the AT. Everyone seems to know eachother by name by the end of the week. I recommend this camp to anyone that has the chance to go.

Have not had the chance to go to Treasure Island but hope to do that the year after next.

Our Troop goes to El Rancho Cima, Cockrell River Camp each year for opening weekend. Though we attend the same camp each year, the boys choose it, and we get nearly 90% Troop participation. (80 registered Scouts It's only 4-5 hours from home, so the adults can come and go as necessary for work, and the cost is affordable because there isn't much travel expense. The boys feel comfortable because they know their way around, and our campsite feels like home. For the older Scouts we also have a High Adventure (10-12 days) each summer also. Tonight we decided on South Dakota, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse.

Our Troop is going to Goose Pond Scout Reservation. The boys always have a good time. They have a great program. They have an older boy program with whitewater, climbing and a high and low COPE course. The cost of camp is very affortable and camp is close to home where adults can come go as necessary. Boys feel very comfortable with camp.

Heading to Camp Old Indian Scout Reservation, South Carolina. A few scouts working on Adventure to Eagle, hopefully we'll get a few new Scouts this spring and they'll do the Pathfinder Program. Others will have their choice of activities and merit badges to fill up their time. Been to COI for many many years and always have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...

My troop is going to Camp Lowden located in Orgon, IL in the Blackhawk Area Council. The troop has switched between here and Canyon Camp the past 4 years and went to Camp Lowden every year before that.

For the older scouts we will feature a hiking at Shawnee National Forest (about 50 miles in 3 days) in October. Some talks are also going on for doing a trip to Quetico/Boundary Waters with some of the older scouts/adults.