Summer camp Honor socities

Everyone knows about Order of the Arrow, and a good bunch know aboutFirecrafter, but has anyone seen any other orginization that is specific to a certain camp? I would like to start some sort of scout skill honor society at my camp for my scoutcraft program . . .I'm just curious if anyone else has seen anything like this.

The USSSP site has an extensive overview of the various camp honor societies over the years. Here's the link: http://usscouts.org/usscouts/honorsociety.asp

Perhaps the best known one, at least in the Missouri region, is the Tribe of Mic-O-Say: http://mic-o-say.org/ There are many variants of this organization, one is the Tribe of Mannaseh in the Okaw Valley Council (Illinois).

Good luck with your efforts.

Northwoods Scout Reservation in Michigan has the "Tribe of Mangons" and the boys get a patch and then quarter-circle pieces that go around the outside of the round patch as they move up in rank within the "Tribe." The patches are given for service projects done at camp.

Elizabeth

• 5 months later...

We started a honor camper society for first year campers who complete our first year program, called the Dan Beard Society. The youth are recognized at the closing campfire with a pocket flap, which they wear until they are inducted into the Order of the Arrow. You can contact our council office (Theodore Roosevelt Council, inquiry@trcbsa.org) and direct the inquiry to Chris Wieczkowski.

• 11 months later...

rj,

Just stumbled across your thread from last year. Check out Buckeye Council in Ohio. We have a camp honors program, "The Pipestone Program" that just celebrated it's 80th anniversary in 2006. It is a five year honors program where the requirements are set up to lead the scout toward completing his Eagle. Each year the scout/scouter receives a Pipestone to wear on his uniform. Each successive year the Pipestone grows in size until they complete the fifth year.Other Councils have come in the past to see how the program works and can benefit their summercamp programs. Because our Council is the only one in the country/world that offers this program, we have had troops from all over the country and from Europe come to our summercamps to earn their Pipestones.

Councils phone number is (330)580-4272