summer camps for Louisiana Troops??

Our troop is looking for recommendations or feedback on summer camps for 2006. We are in Baton Rouge, LA, and are looking at camps that would be within one LONG day's drive (i.e., a radius out to something like Camp Daniel Boone in N.C.). Ideally we'd like something where there is a High Adventure program for a couple of days for the older Scouts in parallel with the (apparent) usual Merit Badge sessions and First Year Scout advancement sessions.

So what summer camps in this part of the country have knocked your socks off, and why?

PS. We went to our local district camp, Camp Avondale in Clinton, LA, last year, but we plan on going there only about every 3 years for variety. We thought Avondale met expectations but did not knock our socks off; their program on Merit Badges and their First Year program was solid and met expectations (i.e., a "B" vice an "A" grade). The biggest plus was the new showers at all the campsites.

Might want to check out Boxwell Reservation outside Nashville, TN (www.mtcbsa.org). I attended two weeks there last summer. Troops from Florida, Louisiana, and Texas were in.

I moved to Tennessee from southeast Mississippi a little over a year ago. I know the damage to the Pine Burr Area Council's Camp Tiak near Wiggins, MS was pretty extensive. All the fall programs were cancelled. Wondering if anyone might provide a status on Camp Salmen, which serves New Orleans area troops. The camp is located near Kiln, Mississippi, even further south and close to where Katrina came ashore.

Good luck with your camp search.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Troop is a regular at Woodruff S.R. in North Georgia, and yes, I saw troops from LA during our week. Great camp, great staff, good facilities. I thoroughly recommend it, but only the July weeks are open now. It's very popular.

I know a Scoutmaster in Mandeville, LA, whose troop has gone to Camp Comer in northeast Alabama twice. I believe they plan on going to Skymont SR in Summer 2006. Skymont is on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee and has an excellent rock climbing program. I hear great things about both Skymont and Comer in the high adventure department.

I'd also advise that you check Camp Rainey Mountain (NE Georgia Council.) That's always my second choice.

• 2 months later...

if you want to do a C.O.P.E course with the older ones with first year campers and the usually merit badge stuff they you might try East Texas Area Council. Camp Pirtle is in North East Texas between Longview and Tyler. They also offer small boat sailing on lake Murvall and they have a climbing tower to teach rock climbing and rapelling. Its east texas we have no real mountains...lol. Nice pretty wooded camp.

lynncc

• 3 weeks later...

Camp Yocona about 45 minutes West of Tupelo, in northeast MS. Our camp recently went thru a major renovation that saw new cabins, bath houses, the lake enlarged almost 3X. Check out www.yocona.org about dates and activities available, such as on-site COPE course, shooting range, and much more. Look on the Council site for a link to Scouter's with e-mail contact info and look for our Camp Ranger - Dennis Dickey, he can give you lots of info about our camp.