I have a patch from our lodge's first fellowship back in 1973. Wouldn't take it off for the world.

I also know of a few who still wear their lodge flaps from before the merger--Chequah 194 pride runs deep. Illegal? Yes. But one form of nostalgia? Definitely.

I keep all my patches in a box. I am still trying to think of a way to display them. I don't like the idea of putting them on my wool-jac.

I still wear my old council strip from before the merger. I also have an "Untrainable" patch I wear instead of the Trained patch. This one cause people to ask "Why untrainable?" I tell them 1st you need to be trained to be untrainable. You should see the look I get from Scouts!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

After reading all the replys I just have to get into this discussion. My personal belief is that if you are going to wear patches do it for the level of the program you are currently involved with. For those of us with scouts in Cubs and Boy Scouts we will probably need two jackets or two blankets or - you get the idea I'm sure.

My older son took an old red blanket and cut it like a serape (I helped him bind the neck) and proceeded to cover it with patches from his 7 years of Boy Scouting which encompassed the USA and Europe.

He can't wait until it gets cold to wear it to meetings, camp-outs, district events, O/A etc. It is always a conversation starter and it keeps him warm as well at night, works as a pillow, covered an auto accident victim (the stains are still there - even after cleaning) but they too tell a Scouting story. He is now into campfire story telling and can always find one by looking at a patch.

I have also heard of a thing called "the brag rag". Sew your patches for the year onto a piece of cloth that will fit the top part of your back pack flap and figure out a way to attach it to your backpack. Change out the "brag Rag" each year and by the time you turn 18 you should have maybe 7 of these which in turn can be sewn onto a blanket/quilt/banner and displayed at the Eagle Court of Honor.

Grey Fox

I have to disagree with your statement that you should only wear patches in association with the level you are with (adlibed). If you were correct in this, you would not be able to wear the Arrow of Light award on the scout uniform because it was earned as a cub. I know that we are talking about the patches that don't go on the uniform, but the principle is the same. Throughout the years I have been in Scouting, I have enjoyed everything I have done. I wear ALL my patches on my jacket...Cub and Boy scouts. The boys in my pack see the things I have done and things they will one day be avle to do. It is called a "brag jacket" for a reason, and that is what I use it for.

Tim Dyer

Pack 56

This thread has actually turned into a very thoughtful discussion about ways to preserve memories. I think many of the ideas are great, but I tend to cringe at the thought of all those patches being sewn on and worn around. As an avid patch collector (trading was by far my favorite activity at the Jambos and NOAC I attended), I tend to put my patches in plastic sleeves and binders to preserve them. I only wear the bear essentials on my uniform. Although I attended three jamborees, I don't wear any of those patches on my uniform. I guess I can't stand the thought of those patches getting dirty or worn out. However, every one should be able to display their patches on a jacket or blanket or whatever. I believe the main uniform should be kept fairly uncluttered, giving it a much sharper appearance. The "clutter" of all the patches should be saved for the jackets, blankets, or in my case, binders.

Something else to keep in mind when wearing a "brag" item. Are you doing it so that everyone can be impressed with you and tell you how wonderful you are, or are you doing it for the betterment of the Scouts. I've seen some Scouters walk around with 15-18 square knots on their uniforms and a wool coat so full of patches, you can't tell what the color is. They spend so much time talking about themselves and the adventures they had and the awards they earned, etc. that you really wonder if they are in Scouting to help the boys or to be a member of the good ole boys club. Some Scouters think they are great Scouters because of all those patches and awards from their past. In reality, their quality as a Scouter should be judged by what they are doing for the youth of today.

Another way to look at it is this. A scout in my troop wears his medals (he has a religious award and a trail medal), merit badge sash, and brag vest to every meeting. 95% of the words coming out of his mouth are him telling whoever will listen about what he's done and how wonderful he is. He never shows any interest whatsoever in the interests or opinions of other people. His parents and I are trying to impress on him that he should be more courteous and try to learn more about other people (ask their name, their interests, etc.) The next week, we had a Webelos den visit and first thing, he went up to a couple of them and asked "What's your name?" Before they could answer, he said "My name is XXXXXX. This is my God and Country. I got it because..." (you get the picture).

Margaret Thatcher had a great quote on being a leader. She said, "Being in charge is like being a lady. If you have to tell them you are, then you aren't." The same can be said for the Scouts and Scouters with their bragging. If you have to tell they should be impressed with you, they won't be.

Tim,

Not to digress from the thread but, wearing the Arrow of Light as a Scout on your Boy Scout uniform is compeltely different for wearing a day camp patch on your Boy Scout uniform. Once a Webelos crosses over to Boy Scouts, the only Cub patch he can wear is the AOL. And once a Scout turns 18, he is considered an asult & the AOL & Eagle badges are to be replaced by knots.

And now, back to the thread!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed, This a little off the thread track but as long as this was mentioned let's tell it all. I do believe that there is one other award a Scouter or Boy Scout can wear on his uniform from Cubs and that is the Religious Emblems Award Square Knot. I have seen adults with the purple background and silver knot on their shirts with either a cub or scout device in the middle to denote the program he earned it under.

"What I do now has value to the scouts. What I've done in the past only has value to me"

These are the words of a dear friend of mine who passed away recently after 50 years in the scouting program. He had enough patches and awards to fill multiple brag jackets and uniforms, but he never did that. He only wore his knots and current office position on his uniform. His red jacket had his Philmont Bull and the Scout Emblem. He beleived that setting the right example in everything you do was the most important of all leadership qualities.

The idea of doing anything outside the the rules in scouting or life was unacceptable to him because "you never know when a child may see what you do, and follow your example".

He was the most respected man I've ever known.

I wonder why?

Bob White