I have a question. I am in the process of putting all of my old scouting patches onto a jacket. I am a member of the OA. My lodge has changed the design and look of the pocket flap patch. I need to find out if it is okay to put old patch on my jacket?

Thanks,

Tim Dyer

That all depends tdyer. What specific jacket are you refering to? If it is a official scout uniform jacket, no. The All official scout jackets and wool jack-shirt may only carry a specific and limited set of patches in specific locations. You will find the details in the Insignia Guide. The OA pocket flap is not approved for these uniform pieces.

If it is a non-uniform jacket you can put anything you choose on it.

Bob White

It is not an "offical" jacket. It does however look exactly like the nylon red ones sold through the scout shops. I will mostly be wearing it with my uniform but not as part of it. I will be wearing to and from meeting, outings, etc.

I feel that I earned and work hard for them as a boy and now as an adult, I want to "show them off". When I was a cub, I had a brag vest which I have now passed onto my son. I still want to "brag". People do come up and inquire about some of them...especially their boys. Quite a conversation starter that leads to the discussion of getting their boy in Scouting.

Tim Dyer

The last time I looked, the red windbreaker sold in our scout shop did not have the official tag inside only on the paper tag with the scout logo to sew on. I have seen many of these jackets filled with patches. If the patch police come by just tell them to lighten up! Better yet have 2 jackets, take both to camp, when someone objects put on your official 2 patch jacket.

k9gold scout, The red jacket you have with the scout patch and as such is intended to be worn as designated in the Insignia guide.

You will be pleased to know there are no uniform police. For 92 years the program has relied upon the character of it's it volunteer's to follow the rules and regulations of the BSA as they promised when they signed their membership form.

For millions of adults and youth how have come through the program the inate drive to do the right thing and set a good example is all the enforcement that has every been needed.

What do ya'll think about putting ranks on the jackets? For example...all of my cub scout ranks and arrow points, the arrow of light and the last rank I earned in boy scouts...Life. I am torn on this, while I would like to have them on there...I think the other patches on the jacket would take away from them.

Thoughs?

Tim Dyer

tdyer56,

I went out and bought a red windbreaker which I use as a bragging jacket. I think it looks nice and it does generate some questions once in a while about the various patches. On the front left breast I arranged all my boy scout ranks in a circle with a conspicuously open area in the middle where eagle could have been if I had worked a little harder. It's one of the first things people notice when they see the jacket and I use it as an opening to talk to the boys about what I did wrong and how I regretted not finishing strong. I agree with Bob White in that I think we need to teach boys (and sometimes other adults) to follow the rules even when no one else does (that's character) at the same time though, I think that a true love of the program can come through in special things like a bragging jacket and that those sorts of things can inspire the boys to do more. In my #1 reference, Paul says (and I'm paraphrasing here) that if you do something that makes another person stumble, even though you know there is nothing wrong with it, refrain from doing it around them so as not to cause them harm in their faith. If my wearing the jacket causes someone to think less of BSA policies then I'm at fault and I shoul dnot wear it around them. I haven't seen that yet. I don't consider the jacket part of an official uniform but BSA has never said you can't wear non-BSA items when in uniform. if they did, alot of troops would be running around in shirts and skivvies.

Enjoy the program...Take pride in your accomplishment (past and present)...and help the boys become good men...That's what we are all about. God Bless.

All I was trying to say is that "offical uniform" jackets should have the boy scout seal on the lable. If I buy the same jacket 1/3 the price of the one sold in the scout shop as the official windbreaker; the only way to tell is the lable inside. I would like to remind some scouters to lighten up - the boy scouts is not the Army!

I like to see scouts (adults too) wear a brag jacket.

Our pack is "new" this past year. I say new meaning it dissolved and we got it going as a new pack. All new leadership. I will be the first adult to have a "brag jacket" and hope to encourage others. I know when I wear it to meetings the boys ask me about them. Since getting and wearing mine, and my son his, I have started seeing a few more boys start to wear them.

The only problem I will have is that later on, as I get more, is I will soon run out of jacket space.....I know I will them move up to a "brag trechcoat" Ideas? I know I could put them on a blanket. I don't want to put them in a binder. Patches were, in my opinion, meant to be sewn to something to display them not in a book.

Sorry, got off in a tangent.

Thanks. Comments???

Tim Dyer

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how much camping you do - you could put them on your backpack, day pack, tote bag, or even your sleeping bag - (although I'd put them on the lighter summer bag, not an expensive winter/ down one!)

or start another jacket and trade off wearing them! Maybe different weights or colors?

I do like the blanket idea - it sure would be easier to sew the patches on a flat blanket than a lined jacket! - hey, what about making one of the scout "blankets" into a poncho? you could wear it or use it as a blanket? Sure would have LOADS of room!

I have my old Girl Scout patch jacket - completely covered - body, sleeves, even the collar - and discovered as I sewed the patches on that the lining did NOT match the outer jacket and had to be cut loose at the bottom!

I think I have the best way of displaying patches. My mother and father retired from Chicago and went to live in the Arkansas Ozarks, around Claksville. While there my mother "fell-in" with a pack of rabid quilters. Well, one thing lead to another and she made the best present that a scouter could ever receive. She took all my old patches whether for rank or activties and put them all on a khacki quilt with red piping. Its composed of one foor square quilted squares. Inside each square is a quilted Fleur-de-lis. Inside each Fleur-de-lis is a rank patch, merit badge, etc. The Center square has our own town Red and White Town strip and troop number. Its queen size big and genuine Ozark hand made by the Sulphur Springs Quilting Club. I cant look or even touch it without a few tears leaking out

OGE, what a wonderful gift! I was a quilter before scouting took over my life a few years ago..lol.

One of the many "projects" in my head is to create a quilt with each square representing some part of my son's life -- Cub Scouts, baseball, basketball, trains, cars, and NOW Boy Scouts.

Take good care of that quilt so many, many years from now some young boy can look at it and say "Great-great-grandpa OGE earned all these badges a long time ago. He must have been one heck of a guy."

tdyer56, I have a red wool-jac I got from my Dad when I was inducted into the Arrow in 1963. He bought it big and I havn't grown much. Today I wear my original pocket flap and a large back patch commemorating the last fellowship our chapter had before it was broken into two chapters by the Council, in 1965. I have been told several times that they are both improper. My reply was to take out my folded pocket knife, extend it to the offened person on my open plam and ask them if they would like to try to cut them off. That said I AM WRONG!!! Bob has it on the money. Patches approved for the unifom jackets are specified in the Insignia publication. If you are going to put any old thing on your uniform jacket why not your uniform shirt? As for adults wearing youth rank that is a major Bozo No NO.(I hope everyone knows who Bozo was) Adults can't even wear the first class rank pin on their Smokey the Bear hats. We are after all role models whether we like it or not. In fact in my opinion if you don't like being a role model BSA is not for you. Leading by example is the only way. I have a long vest, looks like throw rug material, that I got at Philmont in '69' which I display my patches on, I wear the red wool jac sparingly because it's incorrect. If it looks like an official jacket treat it like an official jacket. If you buy something that looks close" intending to wear it with yoiu uniform, treat it like your uniform.