An invite for next summer. If anyone is in the southeast come to Camp Benjamin Hawkins. It is Georgia's oldest BSA Camp. We have a great first and second year program and also a COPE course. Please e-mail me for more infor.

Thanks

Y.I.S.

Rootbeer

Our troop has gone to Camp Rainey Mountain for the past 6 years. It usually lives up to it's name and rains the whole week. This year we were lucky and it only rained on Sunday. It's a great camp but I think the boys are getting tired of the same place year after year, that's why their looking for someplace else to go. They would prefer a place with a pool but it's not a requirement. Someplace in the mountains where it's cool is important though.

Flowerchild:

Our troop was up there at the same time (Troop 566, out of council) Remember the grey Land Rover? That was me driving, driving the adults around doing the projects for the camp (13 picnic tables, the bulletin board in front of the dining hall and the repair of the bridge going to the ampitheather-the "Get 'r Done, Half a Ton" crew was busy!)

CAmp Ben Hawkins is only 15 miles from us, but we (the Scouts) prefer going to Rainey Mountain because of the A/C in the Dining hall (it gets hot in Georgia! and it's nice to get a respite at least 3 times a day) and the Southern Appalachians are a tad cooler! CRM is better maintained than CBH; last time I was there I had problems even with my Land Rover on the access roads in camp. A little money would make a lot of difference there! Well, the money is there in the Council, shame that the 'Powers that Be" won't spend it....

Andrew-

Say Howdy to Peter from the Get 'r Done Crew!

Art(This message has been edited by Aardvark)

The great thing about CRM is the scenery change. Sand and palm trees get old very fast here.

They also have a fireworks show on the 4th of July, when I'll be there. Anyone going there next week look for Troop 446, I'll be wearing an overseas hat, sun glasses, and I'll be yelling a lot to get my troop motivated ;)

Now lets see the real reason for SCOUTING boys or the adults????? Yes the adults wants all the comforts of home and alot of the boys do to, but you take the "OUTING" from scouts and you have nothing!!!!

ROOTBEER

• 4 weeks later...

As this is a posting for Camp Benjamin Hawkins, I will stay on thread and say, Yes I have been there too. It is a great camp and the Camp Program Director does a great job providing an outdoors scouting adventure for the scouts and leaders. Yes the roads are sandy and not always passible but then the Camp is well designed and Auto Traffic shouldn't be necessary except to bring the scouts in and take them out. They have a handicap campsite available and have the facilities centered around the main activity area and the waterfront. Areas like COPE and the rifle ranges are back far enough that they seem isolated and safe from scouts accidently beign where they aren't suppose to be. I have been to several Camps in several countries and as Camps go Benjamin Hawkins is a perfect scout camp that allows boys the freedom to try new things, face fears (real and imaginary) and develops a sense of accomplishment after surviving a week without Mom or Dad.

Off subject, as far as AC at Camp, are you serious? I can spend a month at camp in the great outdoors and not have near the problems I have when exposed to AC in the summer. Most people keep theirs too cold and don't realize that it is the constant change in temperature that causes a COLD in the first place. Yeah, the humidity I could probably do without, but I have learn that I become stronger and can face more when I overcome small things like that.

After all what are we trying to teach these boys. How to "be prepared" for anything. The weather will always be a factor. What do you do when it's 100% humidity and raining. Wait till the rain stops to go camping?

Think about it, if you are willing to step up and change things and be part of the solution then you are moving forward. If you are willing to go somewhere else you are letting others (environment, people, whatever) make decisions for you. If you don't do anything you are probably getting left behind. Me, I want to teach the boys to be leaders and that means encourage them to take option 1 even if it isn't always the EASIEST, the most COMFORTABLE, or the NICEST STUFF. They will grow more inside and out.

Well, that's my two cents and probably all it's worth

See ya'll round the campfire

YIS

Me again!

Was chewed out by Rootbeer(who I found out is a fellow Wood Badger from my session)the other night for not supporting my Councils Camp.

I do support CBH! My buisness (I'm a gunsmith) supports the Shooting ranges. We helped the council get two Muzzleloading shotguns last year for the program; whenever the Ranger or Shooting Commisioner need something, we get it for them; normally we donate it!

For Boys/Adults making the decisions: the boys want to go out of council to CRM, want to go somewhere different. They get enough of Ben Hawkins during Camp-o-ree's, etc. CBH is just like the rest of Middle Georgia; Rainey Mountain has different scenery!

Maybe I made too much of the A/C in the Dining Hall-or lack of. But why suffer when you don't have to?

Art

It's all nice that CRM has A/C. CBH has the outdooors. We have an new boy program geared for the first term and second term campers. We go camping for the boys in our Troops. Please concider sending your first year camper's to CBH. The OA is maintaining the camp year round to keep this camp at it's peak performance. If you have a vehicle, come on out to help. We just opened the muzzleloading range this year; the boys had a blast (pun intended). I qualified eight boys this year on the muzzleloader rifle merit badge. As for the A/C you crave for; we installed about a dozen fans to cool the dinning hall. CBH will be around for a long time with your support. Please help keep your local camp going year after year.

YIS

Petey

Hoot Hoot

If you're in the North Georgia Mountains, then Woodruff Scout Reservation is the one to check out. 1900 acres - staff size is 140, almost half are college age. They run a 9 week program with over 50 merit badges and a great deal of non-merit badge open troop activity periods.

The Atlanta Area Council has spent over 7 million upgrading the facilities over the past 3 years.