Need info on camp location

Our troop is looking for a new summer camp to attend next year. While dropping my son off at NYLT yesterday, one of the adults recommended Sky Mountain in Tenn. I am having trouble finding more information about this camp. Can anyone help me? Is the name correct? Where in Tenn. is it located? Do you know the name of the council?

Thanks for your help.

Might want to check out Middle Tennessee Council's Boxwell Reservation, which is actually a complex of several camps located about 30 miles east of Nashville. Nice facilities and a very comprehensive program.

We were at summer camp a couple of weeks ago. We had troops visiting from Pensacola, FL and New Orleans, LA. I imagine that speaks somewhat to the quality of the camp.

Hey, the Chicago Area Council runs Camp Owasippe in Michigan. Next year is probably the last year and will be the 95th anniversary of the camp (established in 1911). They have a bid on the camp, sold out from under us scouts & scouters, but it's gorgeous, the camp staff run a bunch of great programs and scouts do earn some merit badges. And it's right near the Manistee Forest. If interested, they are taking reservations now for the summer of 2006.

I would like to recommed the Blue Ridge Scout Reservation in Virginia.

www.bsa-brmc.org

During the summer of 2005 we are set to camp over 10,000 scouts and leaders on the reservation in three main base camps and 7 satelite programs. Though we are proud of the numbers we serve each summer, our true satisfaction is in the high percentage of returning units. One of the main reason they come is diversity. At the BRSR a scout can start in our Brownsea Island Adventure and continue coming to camp until he is 18 and never do the same program twice. This is also handy for larger troops who can bring 40 kids to one camp, and send them off to the four corners of the reservation for different programs. No need to go to 4 different camps at different times in one summer.

Here is a summary of the programs the BRSR offers:

The Brownsea Island Adventure - A program for first year scouts. It teaches the Basic Scouting Skills and Scouting methods using a program that National is now adopting and promoting through National Camp School. A fantastic start to a scouting career.

Base Camps Powhatan and Ottari - Both traditional camps offer strong merit badge program, exceptional facilities, and top-notch staffs. With 32+ merit badges offered at both camps, you could easily spend 2-3 years in the merit badge program, but you wont because of our many High Adventure opportunities:

The New River Adventure - A weeklong High Adventure program which includes 2 days of COPE, a day of Climbing/Rapelling/Mountain Biking, a day of Whitewater Canoeing, and a day spend on the Whitewater of West Virginia's New River Gorge, some of the best Rafting on the East Coast.

The High Knoll Trail - often referred to as the Philmont of the East, we have over 100 miles of trail on our 22,000 acres. You can push and get a 50 miler done, or take it easy with a 30-40 mile trek. You will spend each night at a manned outpost experiencing Indian Lore, Horsemanship, Early Appalachain living, Rock Climbing, and more!

Claytor Lake Acquatics Base - A smaller residential camping program on nearby Claytor lake where we offer Waterskiing, Sailing (small and large), Snorkeling, Lifesaving, Rowing, Sailboarding, Motorboating, and Scuba.

The Moutain Man Camp - A week spent in the Woods learning primitive living skills. Dress the part, add a knife and sheath made during the week, and see if you can make it to Saturday without taking a shower, well, maybe not that last part...

Fish Camp - Learn from fishing experts (or guys who just fish so much they lost their real job) about the many facets of Fishing. A week spent fishing, need I say more?

Voyager Trek - A week long Canoeing/Rafting Program based around the lives of early Frontier trappers.

As said earlier, this is kind of varietly lends well to Scouts who can come for many years and not see the same part of the reservation. It also makes life easy on units, who can bring all 40 scouts from their newest to their oldest to one camp, on one bus, for one week, and still give the little ones a model first year camper program, the 2nd years a strong merit badge camp with outstanding staff, and their older scouts a variety of High Adventure challenges that will leave them with stories to tell...

This is a biased report, having served on Camp Staff at the reservation for many years, but I think most will agree with my assessment! Hope to see you guys at the BRSR in 2006!

Scouting, A Way of Life...

Micah