Coffee banned for the boys at Summer Camp??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like lies.

The Resident Cub Scout Camp Director at our Cub Scout camp used to tell all the Cub Scouts that the pay phone outside the admin building didn't work.

It worked fine and it took the little guys less than half a day to find out!!

While her intentions were good, she was trying to avoid homesickness. The Cub Scouts didn't trust her. This isn't the example we need to be showing to our young Lads.

As for coffee, I drink a lot of the stuff and at times can be a real coffee snob. I hate the flavored stuff, but do enjoy good Kona and most dark roasted coffee.

Coffee has been a medical whipping boy for so long that it may come as a surprise that recent research suggests that drinking moderate amounts of coffee (two to four cups per day) provides a wide range of health benefits. Most of these benefits have been identified through statistical studies that track a large group of subjects over the course of years and match incidence of various diseases with individual habits, like drinking coffee, meanwhile controlling for other variables that may influence that relationship. According to a spate of such recent studies moderate coffee drinking may lower the risk of colon cancer by about 25%, gallstones by 45%, cirrhosis of the liver by 80%, and Parkinson's disease by 50% to as much as 80%. Other benefits include 25% reduction in onset of attacks among asthma sufferers and, at least among a large group of female nurses tracked over many years, fewer suicides.

In addition, some studies have indicated that coffee contains four times the amount of cancer-fighting anti-oxidants as green tea.

I wish I could post the benefits of smoking cigarettes, but no such luck. I admit that I'm hooked. I do everything I can to be as polite a smoker as I can. I understand and respect the rights of non-smokers, I follow the rules whatever they might be!! You will find me out side on the second floor balcony on the coldest days of winter. The balcony is the designated smoking area for my work place. So I'm there puffing away with a cup of coffee in the other hand, maybe the coffee will offset the harm I'm doing with the smoking?

Eamonn.

• 3 months later...

"As for coffee, I drink a lot of the stuff and at times can be a real coffee snob. I hate the flavored stuff, but do enjoy good Kona and most dark roasted coffee."

AMEN!!!

My first encounters with Happiness in a Mug (Coffee) came when I was a cub scout at camp with my mom. I drink it black BECAUSE of camp.

Please: let us not forget the age old tradition of morning camp coffee... 5lbs of coffee/1 pot.... nothing quite beats the flavor of dirt and the caffine intake of Jolt!

If there were a ban placed on coffee at camp, would it truly work? For my duration in scouting I drank it with my leaders and now I drink it with den-parents as a staff member. If you'd have those like me at camp, they'd bring their own anyways, so it really wouldn't matter much if the scouts couldn't take from the urn, they'd just make their own.

Matt

Caffine plain or caffine with chemicals and sugar...hummm...

Ya'll are forgettn' the most important additives to camp coffee (and the reason we and the boys want to drink the darn stuff),

-bits of pine bark,

-slivers of old leaves

-bugs (types- depending on time of year- I'm partial to the big golf-ball size night beetles, myself but some of my friend prefer drowned skeeters)

-egg shells,

-grains of sand from the beach trip

-bits of old paper towel

and the golden light of a new morning... peaking over the top of the next hill, lighting up another day of scouting...

nuff said...gotta go find the coffee pot!

anarchist

-

This is not an apocryphal story. This really happened...decades ago in a different time altogether.

Two university undergraduate students late at night were sitting in the department break room smoking pot. Really stupid.

I was a graduate student working in a lab a few doors down the hall.

It was really late and they thought no one was around. They were alone and enjoying their buzz.

Then suddenly, BAM! The door flew open and the department head stood there asking, "OK, where's the pot?"

The two students were stunned...completely speechless. Fear seized their throats. Their lives were about to end.

Their department head repeated, this time loudly, "I said, where's the pot?"

The panic in the students was intense. They were frozen in terror. One of the students later confided to me that he was about to reply, "We smoked it all" when the department head once again spoke. He held up his cup and screamed as if they couldn't hear him, "The coffee pot, where's the damn coffee pot?"

I was in a room a few doors down the hall but I heard the noise. I nearly collapsed in laughter when the department head told me the story and I still chuckle when I think about it. He died many years ago but this remains one of my fondest memories of him.

And the students? They were scared xxxtless. I suspect they skulked to other places for their ilicit activities after that. As I said, it was another time...

Oh, and the coffee pot? It was right there in front of everyone the whole time.;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's my stab at a pulitzer:

1) Coffee = good

2) Bug juice = good tradition/bad for your body

3) Soda = good for camp funding/bad for boys (and other living things)

4) Cigarettes and Tobacco products = really bad and the only thing discussed (with the exception of packsaddle's other pot) that really is not allowed at scout reservations, events, and activities. Sorry folks, nobody preaches like the converted!