SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION

I would like to volunteer my time as a leader in my pack, however, after reviewing the application, I am reluctant to provide the amount of information requested.

Here is the information that I do not feel is necessary, relevant or safe to provide:

1. Social Security Number (SSN). This is a non-paid position, so disclosure of the SSN should not be required.

2. Date of birth. At age 40, I feel it is pretty obvious that I am over 18.

3. Ethnic background. Why is that even relevant? Is it necessary to know someone's ethnicity?

4. Driver's license number. Again, unless I am in the position of driving scouts, why is this relevant? Even if I were to drive scouts, it should be sufficient to show proof of current license. I don't see a need for my number to be recorded.

5. Occupation. Again, what is relevant? Does it matter?

6. Employer, business address? See number 5.

7. Current memberships(in other organizations)? See number 5.

While I understand that some of this information would be used to do a background check, with the rash of recent security breaches of personal information by credit card companies, I am concerned with the security of this information. A copy of the form is maintained by the local council, the chartered organization and the unit. To me, that is far too much information in the hands of far too many people, with a big chance of unauthorized or accidental disclosure.

In this day, with the threat of identity theft on the rise, what other methods can we take to provide background checks yet eliminate the possibility of this information getting into the wrong hands?

Finally, in the signature block of the form, the applicant must sign the statement with the following clause "I hereby release and agree to hold harmless the chartered organization, local council, Boy Scouts of America, and the officers, employees, and volunteers thereof."

This seems to be a catch-all phrase that absolves them of the responsibilty of safely maintaining my personal information. Information which could be used to destroy me and my family financially.

What's one to do? So far I have avoided an absolute refusal to volunteer, but this is something that I have a serious problem with.

-ML

If it is any comfort...millions of adults before you have shared this information and I have never heard of a single family brought to ruin by the information being misused.

If however you are still uncomfortable divulging information that is required simply say "no thank you " and walk away from the opportunity. As you correctly pointed out this is a voluntary responsibiliuty you have been asked to do. You do not have to do it.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Wingnut, based on your reply, I would have to choose to protect my personal information (and my family's future). The fact that BSA wants me to sign a statement absolving the people who will maintain my information from any wrongdoing or negligence leads me to believe that due diligence is not a priority. There should be some assurance that this information will be properly maintained.

I recently needed to submit criminal background checks from the county clerks of my residences for the last 10 years (for a different reason). I obtained these certified background checks and submitted them as required and yet the only information needed by the county clerks offices was name and date of birth along with the timeframe of the background check. Why is it different for the BSA?

-ML

Reasons -

1) SSN - Background checks are available in a variety of levels. The SSN is needed for the most thorough, in depth check. Many companies/organization are requiring SSN background checks now.

2) Date of Birth - Along with your SSN it helps identify you specificaly so the correct person's information is retrieved by the background check. Also, although you know you are over 18, & you might look like you are over 18, Many of the people who read the application in both the Charter Organization & the council have no idea who you are or what you look like. Not to mention the people who designed the application to be used by hundreds of thousands of volunteers 18 and above.

3) Ethnic Background - As stated on the application, "BSA receives inquires from various agencies regarding racial composition." This info is used by these agencies to determine 1) what money BSA might be eligible for 2) if BSA is serving the complete population in their area & 3) if the BSA is discriminating on the basis of race.

4) Driver's license number - Background Check - I did say it was thorough.

5) Occupation - Database information basically for the Unit level. Expertise in different areas can be used for teaching the Scouts.

6) Employer Info - Background Check References

7) Membership in other Organizations - Background Check References

"The information that I have provided may be verified, if necessary, by contacting persons or organizations named in this application, or by contacting any person or organization that may have information concerning me, or by conducting a criminal background check. I hereby release and agree to hold harmless from liability any person or organization that provides infor-mation. I also agree to hold harmless the chartered organization, local council, Boy Scouts of America, and the officers, employees, and volunteers thereof."

This is legalese intended to protect everyone from being sued by folks who were not happy with the results of background checks, with the fact that people & organization were contacted & questions asked, & on the off chance some info did get into the wrong hands. This is a pretty standard declaration used on most applications where any kind of background/referance checks are being made. This does NOT mean that people's information is treated without care. This means that anything can happen & I don't want YOU sueing ME (the volunteer who might have given you the application) because you are unhappy about something that was beyond my control.

Bottom line - These questions are designed to protect YOUR SON & others like him, not just the BSA. If you are uncomfortable with the process & the questions, then do not do it. You can still help out with out being a registered leader.

BW, thanks for the assurances, but I feel the following information is relevant:

"U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) statistics indicate that over 27 million people have been the victim of identity theft crime in the last five years in the U.S.A. The FBI has estimated that the number of victims will increase be by 500,000 - 700,000 each year. They also estimate that on average victims of identity theft take 12 months before they realise they are victims of the crime and then take 175 hours to clear their name."

So while it hasn't happened so far, the stated policy statement,

"BSA Privacy Policy. The Boy Scouts of America protects the confidentiality of the names and personal information of those who are affiliated with the movement. No commercial or unauthorized use is made of the names, addresses, and other confidential information of members. Access to this information is strictly limited."

accompanied by my signed statement absolving them of responsibility for any breaches in security doesn't provide enough assurances for me.

-ML

ScoutNut, I understand BSA's reasons for the information requested, however, I do not feel that this information needs to be provided. Like I mentioned before, background checks can be done by the county clerk's office and submitted with the application. I feel that there is no need for that information to be maintained by any level in the BSA.

As far as the statement absolving the BSA, I agree with you. It is there to protect those who collected the information. That, to me, says that the information is vulnerable.

You're right about helping out without being a registered leader. I already do, but there are limits to one who has not registered.

-ML

And the Better Business Bureau released a report showing that the vast majority of identity theft will come from an aquaintance steling from your own home. That the next largest segement of identity theft crime will come from a stranger robbing your home or person. The next largest comes accisental loss o the part of the victim and finally the smallest segment of identity theft comes from technology theft.

I am not saying you cannot have your reservations, but that there are far greater risks to you than a scout application.

You are asking for the opportunity to work at close quarters in relative remoteness with other peoples children, where who you are and what can be your expectation of proper behavior is of great importance to the other parents, the Chartering organization the council and the BSA. If you do not want to share your pesonal information you do not have to, and you do not have to be allowed access to the scouts. Everyone involved has a responsibility to take every possible step to insure the safety of the scouts.

To take on an adult volunteer who is unwilling to give the requested information is too high a risk for any unit.

By the way not all of the infor is for background checks (1,4,6, and 7 are and must be provided)

2- is beacuse adults over 40 have a different level of health risks statistically and so are subject to differnt health protocols in the BSA.

3- is not required but is helpful for the locla and national BSA to track program statistics.

5- is not required but helps units and council to find new resources that might be used to improve the program foir the scouts.

Again, It is your choice, you do not have to help provide information to help secure the safety of others in the program, but then the program does not have to allow you the priviledge of membership.

"You are asking for the opportunity to work at close quarters in relative remoteness with other peoples children, where who you are and what can be your expectation of proper behavior is of great importance to the other parents, the Chartering organization the council and the BSA."

Actually, no. I didn't ask, I was asked, repeatedly. I would like to share my experiences and knowledge, I just don't want to unnecessarily expose myself to identity theft to do so. And the BSA wants me to absolve them of any responsibility for safeguarding my information at the same time.

"Again, It is your choice, you do not have to help provide information to help secure the safety of others in the program, but then the program does not have to allow you the priviledge of membership."

You're right BW, and I seem to have done just fine w/o the priviledge of its membership for the last 22 years.

-ML

My boss also declined to join with his son for the same reason. His rationale...he is a senior military officer with a Top Secret clearance. That should be sufficient, without disclosing his SSN to a group of volunteers parents who are not legally accountable safeguard the information.

As Bob said, the vast majority of identity theft is from visitors to your home...or the Cubmaster's home.

A secretary in our office recently was selected for a promotion with the USCG...when they ran her credit history for a security clearance, she found out she was the victim of identity theft when she bought a new car last year. Someone at the car dealership was the perp. It cost her the job, with no recourse. The Department of Homeland Security takes this very seriously, and so should we.

I would think that BSA, Inc. could come up with a solution. I would feel better if the information were in a lot fewer hands.

Most of the most delicate information is stored on the BSA national data base with restricted access. You are statistically more likely to have the information stolen by cousin ernie then from your scouting records.

I think most any unit would rather risk losing a good volunteer than endangering the safety of the scouts.

"You are statistically more likely to have the information stolen by cousin ernie then from your scouting records."

Cousin Ernie doesn't have access; I don't know who has access at the unit/district/council. And, they're absolved if they don't protect it.

"I think most any unit would rather risk losing a good volunteer than endangering the safety of the scouts."

Maintaining a database of personal information about leaders is not the only way to obtain a background investigation. I have mentioned another method of providing a background investigation without having to have my information on BSA's database. In this day of computer hacking and identity theft, it just isn't prudent to disclose your most important information.

Just recently 40 million credit card holders had their information stolen from a database with "restricted access". Damages are unknown at this time.

I guess the priviledged membership is not for me. My family is more important.

-ML

Just a few items to add...

The copy of your application that is retained by the troop/COR does NOT have your SSN - only the copy that goes to council has that.

At least in my county, when I obtained a background check, it only covered any issues that may have occurred within the county. I assume that thhe one run by council is more thorough than than.

AwHeck, it's just too much information. How does the unit and district maintain it? I picture it in someone's 3-ring binder, then being forgotten or stolen and all the information lost.

As far as the background checks by the county...yes they were just for the time I lived in each county, for the past 10 years. Of course, aren't there nationwide listings of sex offenders? If the name matched, further investigation could be warranted. But, with no record, then it should be case closed. No need to maintain all my information in BSA's database.

But as it's been said, if that's the price for the priviledged membership, I'll decline.

-ML

Ya know, I was in the Home Depot store down the road about 2 months ago and my son tripped and fell on an aerator that some foolish employee had left sitting with its tines up. He punctured his bottom and it bled profusly. I know you may be wondering what this has to do with this thread but bear with me.

I went to the manager and asked for a bandaid and he wanted to know why I needed one so I told him. They wouldn't give me a bandaid untill I filled out a 4 page "Accident report".

My 5 year old son was standing there bleeding and they were more concerned with covering their legal behinds that his needs were put aside. Things like this happen (along with that line on the BSA Registration) because we live in a society where the first answer to most is to sue someone. I would be interested to know when that line was put on the registration and how that time frame compare to the sue generation.

Kristi(This message has been edited by cajuncody)