Adult Supervision at Campsite

We don't have a specific policy, but during the times the boys were likely to be in camp (late afternoon and evening) there was usually an adult nearby.

As to the YP issue, I wouldn't intrepret the two deep rule to mean that you have to have two leaders in every possible situation at camp. That, effectively, would mean that adult would always have to have an adult buddy with them every where they went. I don't know of any camp where that happens. I will say that from time to time that thought has occured to me while I've been walking somewhere in camp and happen to catch up with a couple of boys along the trail.

I do spend my mornings at camp wandering from merit badge class to merit badge class. Early in the week I'm checking to see if my Scouts got where they are supposed to be, particularly with the first year guys who don't know the layout that well. I also like to sit in on the classes and see what the quality of instruction is like. By the end of the week I tend to gravitate toward the areas that I enjoy.

Nlscouter, we do trust our scouts and we do let them do as they see fit. If you would re-read my posting, the use of the words truant officers was there as an ill-attempt to be light-hearted. We just want to make sure the our newest scouts adjust well to their new surrounding for the first day or two (mainly the first day) and making sure that they know where the classes are. We do show interests in what they learn but we do not force them to attend. This past summer camp our CC's son decided to skip 2 of his mb classes. We found out from his mb counselor during lunch on the third day. We had a talk and allow him to make his own decision whether or not he wants to continue with the mb that he skipped. We noticed that a few years ago that leaving the new boys to their own devices, they will be lost and miserable. As for the older boys, a "hey there Mr. ..." or a "whatsup, Mr. ...?" as I pass by them is about all that I usually got from them! (even my own son!) Going to camp ... my son didn't want to ride in the van that I was driving! He wanted to be with his patrol! It was an 8 hour drive, too!

Trust me ... none of us adults were up to walking 10 miles a day under the 97 degrees heat just to check on 35 boys and making sure that they go to class. My fellow scoutmasters and I were happy just to park ourselves under the shades with a nice breeze or in the pool!

One thing that I will admit, I worry about the new scouts more so than the other scoutmasters in our troop, especially the ones who are homesicked. If it weren't for the large number of new scouts this year (21) going summer camp, I would have bowed out. We had 6 other adult leaders in attendance already.(This message has been edited by OneHour)