Packing for summer camp

When you went to summer camp or send your son (whichever is the case). How many pair of pants (and/or shorts) do you take. Do you take/send short sleeve shirts or tank tops. My son will be going to camp for the first time this year. The list I have only says EXTRA SHORTS BOTH LONG AND SHORT and EXTRA SHIRTS. Would extra mean more than the 6 for the number of days they are going to be gone or what?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is he going for a week, or a summer? i would say besides clothes for everyday (if he is going for a week only) 2 extra pairs of shorts, and a pair of pants, plus an extra sweatshirt. also, you can never have too many extra pairs of socks, those are usually the most important extras!:)

Just have to tell you that you're probably being lucky ""IF"" he changes his clothes at all the whole week. You're even luckier if he takes a shower the whole time also. Not that you should'nt send extra clothes, but a set of clean clothes for each day is ,IMO, over doing it.

But of course each boy is differnet and yours may be better at daily hygiene than most.

The amount and kind of extra clothing would probably depend on what kind of temperature ranges there are. I usally take two extra of everything with only one pair of long pants. If need be clothes can be rinsed out in a sink and hung up to dry. If you are going to pack a lot of clothes for him and since it is his first time going, you would be wise to take full set of clothing per day and put all in a two gallon ziplock bag. Makes it eaiser to grab on the way to the shower.

The first year my son went to summer camp, when I went to pick him up I told him he wasn't riding home with me unless he has taken a shower, since he had not taken one all week.

Hope this helps.

txscoutdad,

I will be happy if he changes his underwear and socks everyday. He will usually wear his jeans 2 days if he hasn't gotten too dirty. I encourage this for around the house, because I get tired of doing laundry. My son is lacking in clothes at the moment, he has 3 pair of shorts and 3 pair of pants. He just took a growth spurt and it is too expensive to go buy a whole new wardrobe.

I agree with txscoutdad... most boys when left to their own devices will not change their clothes at all during camp. We usually try to get them into the shower at least once during camp and tell them that it's a requirement. I personally like it when we're at a camp where they can take swimming ... at least those boys get rinsed off daily :)

My most memorable experience was when we went to summer camp in northern CO - they had arrangements with a local whitewater rafting outfit and at least 1/2 of our scouts signed up for the optional trip for Sat after we left camp.. again ... rinsed them off for the ride home!

kittle,

I think then I would send him with what he has and hope most come back dirty and not still packed.

Does your troop have a parents meeting before summer camp to help fill in the questions for first timers?

Also will they be sleeping in tents on wood platfoms and on cots? If they are, send everything pack in a 18 Gallon Rubber Maid Roughneck Container. One that will slide under the cot. Makes it eaiser to store stuff in a tent with a bunkmate and still have room to move around.

TX is right on the mark. Minimal clothing, they won't want to change clothes.. and if I didn't institute two mandatory shower days last year, they wouldn't have done that either.

One thing I suggested last year, was to have the scouts NOT bring white t-shirts. That way, if you were out of smelling range, they at least had the ILLUSION of being somewhat clean. :-)

I also agree with Eagle... last year, despite our 'packing light' skill bases, some moms packed for the newbies. We hiked in about a half mile from the parking lot, and those newbies were struggling with all the gear, 80% of which they didn't use anyway.

I always enjoy those scouts whose moms put a daily change of clothes (shorts, socks, t-shirt and underwear) in separate plastic bags (with the air sucked out to boot). The scout's pack is neatly arranged with separate packages marked for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... By the Saturday morning departure, the scout may have worked his way up to Tuesday. The next year, its pretty obvious that the scout packed himself.

Scout shorts, a bathing suit and 2 extra pairs of shorts will do, along with 1 long pair scout pants. I would go with the short sleeve shirts instead of tank tops for protection from sunburn on shoulders (scouts rarely put sunblock on either).

I'd think the 'EXTRA' means in addition to what he is wearing on the ride to camp. 3 pants and 3 shorts would surely be enough for week camp.

Go with shirts with sleeves instead of tank tops.

If you check out my son's backpack for his week-long summer camp, you'll see plastic bags of clothes - one for each day. He does it that way because the older scouts showed him when he joined and it made sense.

New scouts tend to bring (or get sent with) way too much, but whether there is a lot or a little it makes sense to pack it well.

Pages 224-227 of the Scout Handbook have good info about what clothing to take.

I tend to pack light. For week-long camp, I take:

Pants: long scout, 1 zip-off, swimsuit.

Shirts: 1 scout, 3 Ts, 1 long heavy.

Socks: 6 pair.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the info.

My son will pack himself and them take it to the shakedown. But I wanted to make sure he had the clothing that he would need. He packs himself for weekend campouts and I would expect no less for summer camp.

A few years ago our troop had a big problem with overpacking for summer camp. Scouts would bring numerous bags and enormous sleeping bags. We solved the problem by purchasing a number of army style duffle bags and numbered them. Each scout is given a duffle bag at our pre-camp meeting and told that EVERYTHING he brings to camp MUST fit in the duffle, including his sleeping bag. At our Shakedown training day, I bring all of my gear packed in the duffle and tell them "My clothes are a LOT bigger than yours at it all fits.!" This really has cut down on the extra clothing and non essentials.

Hey Semper, you're hitting awfully close to home. That's what my pack looks like (but I do pack it myself). My 40 year old eyes can't focus too well in the morning, so I need it arranged as neatly as possible! :-)