Advice for Camp Staff position

I am trying to decide if I want to work at Summer Camp this year. I have worked with both the Program Director and the Camp Director at my council's Webelos Resident Camp. They have both served as the Asst. and Camp Director there. I have worked at WRC for 3 years. I think that I want to move on to Summer Camp. I think that my main problem is that I don't know how I will handle being gone for that long. Someone give me some advice. Is it stressful? Is it fun? Will I have a good time working and teaching? I will most likely be on the Aquatics Staff. HELP!!!!!!!

Hi,

I'm an adult and so you can weigh my opinions on that scale. I worked on summer camp staff as a Scout. I have also inspected various camps all over California and have some observations for you. I have also been to several camps as an adult, and have watched staff. Lastly as we're talking about my credentials I've served as a program director (COPE) for a summer camp for a couple of summers. (Do you think we can talk now?)

I have noticed that camp staffs that understand these few things do better.

1 - Yes this is stressful.

2 - Yes I'm not doing this for the money.

3 - Yes I love scouting.

4 - And yes I love helping younger scouts

Where do you see yourself?

Many of the camps I have inspected have lounges, or at least campsites for staff members that the campers know nothing about. This allows you to get away from that group of (size depends on capacity of camp, but plan on about 20%) loud, obnoxious 11 year olds. You'll need the down time. I have also seen many camps that expect their staff to have some down time. How much of this does your camp provide? While at home try to put on the "happy face" around your family for that length of time. Can you do it?

Many of the camps I have inspected have programs (private swims, extra previleges, etc) that reward staff while they are in camp. What doesn this camp do? Many camps allow staff to leave for dinner away from dinning hall. How hard will it be to get off of the camp, and where can you go when you get off of it? Movie/Video nights away from campers are also a big deal.

How many weeks are you to be there? If it's only a couple some of these items may not exist, if it's all summer, most of these and more should be.

You mentioned that you'd be part of the water front. It has been my experience (both as a Scout, and in all the various roles I've had as an Adult) that there is a pecking order, and water front is usually on the upper end of it. This will help too. The guys/gals in the Trading Post and Dining Hall are usually on the lower end. Shooting sports, Water Front, and COPE usually make up the big three. Their experiences and the way they look at the campers is different.

I hope that I have given you some help. You'll notice I didn't say "yes" or "no" to your question. That's because I don't know, BUT if you will check out my questions, talk to the senior staff, and ask them about the things that matter to you, you'll find your answer. Whatever you decide, good luck, and have a GREAT summer.

I am going to work at camp because I enjoy Scouting very much. There is a staff lounge and campsite but participants know where it is. I think we will be allowed to leave for dinner and free time. Camp this year is 5 or 6 weeks plus there will be a staff week. I will not be able to work all of the sessions because I am on staff for Jamboree. I probably will end up doing it. Thanks for all of your help.

Chief - I still reflect on my three years of summer camp as three of the best summers of my life. Those combined with my Philmont trips are truly the funnest experiences of my scouting career, and probably did more to prepare me for "real life". I say "go for it" if you can.

Is this at CCC? If so, look me up in Week 3.

Go serve on camp staff. Just do it.

If anyone is thinking about being a camp staffer, do it.

If anyone wants to be a camp staffer but for some reason you are looking for an out of council option (your council has its entire staff in place, you simply want new scenery, whatever as long as you are qualified), let me know by private message. I know I could still use a few more people in program staff, and I think the administrative and supports staffs could still use some people too.

I'll try to remember to look you up during week 3. We can meet in person. I am going to my Council Office tommorrow to talk to the Camp Director. I will let you all know how it goes. Then we could meet in person. Thanks.

CCC is a pretty nice camp.

You know, I hear the western part of the state has a pretty decent camp too... now what is it called....

(laughs at own joke while everyone else wonders what he is mumbling about...)

I am on the Aquatics Staff! Yaaaaayyy!

I will be there for 6 weeks. I do hope I have fun. Eagle In Kentucky, who are you? If you don't want to say on the forum you can e-mail me at Lodgechief@talligewi62.org

not trying to be nosy or anything, but what do you guys make a week. i know here, it is something like $100 a week, your 1st year. it goes up for every consecutive year you work there.

i was also wondering how hard it is for a SPL who is working on eagle to work at summer camp. i know it takes them away for a while, but is it possible to do?(This message has been edited by hacimsaalk12)

It is certainly not hard to be work at summer camp while working on Eagle. Unless you really need those 6-8 weeks to do your project or something forget the Eagle for the summer and go have fun. Camp staff is a blast.

The troop I serve had a scout on staff for a summer a few years back. He earned about 20 merit badges amoung which were lifesaving, canoeing, environmental science, reptile study, mammal study and a whole bunch more. He found the counselors, asked about requirements and worked on the badges during his scant free time, but 8 weeks later he had more than a few. The following Fall Court of honor was considered his "day" he was going up so often to get a badge they asked him just to stay up in the front to save time.

His Eagle court was pretty well attended as well