Long Term Summer Camp ?

Our Council/Camp has developed a terrific 8 week Cub Scout Day Camp program located at our Scout Camp. We now have many CSs that choose to spend the summer (or a great part of it) in our Day Camp Program. Of course one of the things that drove this program is the need for affordable/quality Day Camp Programs in our area. Many families have now come to rely on our Day Camp program to keep their sons active and safe during the summer months.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) we have created our own little problem. As these boys age out of the CS program what do we do with them for the next couple of years until they are old enough to be staffers, or, until Mom is ok with the concept of having sonny away at camp all summer.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have some suggestions?

I can't help thinking that the reason for Cub Scouting is to prepare these little fellows for Boy Scouts.

You might want to look at the programs that are offered to the Webelos Scouts. Maybe they could be more about getting ready for the big adventure that is to come.

Eamonn.

The Day program is offered to Webelos I. The question comes about because they are no longer eliable for the Day Camp Program after they cross from CS to BS at the end of their Webelos II year.

How do we capitalize on the need for summer camp, without pushing these families into signing up for 7 weeks of BS Camp?

Eamon,

Why does it have to be one or the other? For most, it is a fact of life that both parents must work atleast one job. I'd sure rather my son spend his days at a BSA camp than in a day care center or a babysitter's living room watching TV.

It also sounds like a better use for some of our camps rather than selling them of for condos.

Has anyone thought of offering young Boy Scouts Den Chief Training before the camping season, then offering them opportunities as Den Chiefs during the Day camping season? You're then supporting advancement and leadership for younger Boy Scouts (and letting a few of them be away from the house during summer).

In writing this, I assume ...

J-Staff minimum age is 14

Your Day Camp program operates using the Cubbing model of Dens...

As far as program v "commercial day care" operations, if the Council has the wherewithal and staff support to afford a full season M-F day camp, go for it. From what I remember as a youth, local YMCA did same thing. Mom/Dad sent me for 3-4 weeks running to get me out in God's Good Air.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

All of our Camp employees have to be 14 years old. For the first few years in BS program the boys can not work as Den Chiefs because of this age restriction.

Eamonn, I think you are either throughly confused or don't quite understand the question. We have a golden opportunity to develop a new revenue stream.

The current Day Camp program is a solid, BSA Accredited Cub Scout Day. It is no more, or no less, a Day Care Program than is the CS Day Camp run by your Council. The next logical step for these boys would be to enroll them as provisional campers for the full 7 weeks (less their Troop Summer Camp time) of our BS Summer Camp Program.

Unfortunately that doesn't sit well with most of the parents, and with the boys. They are not inclined yet to spend the whole summer away from home living in a tent, even if it is at Scout Camp. Sure they will do a week with their Troop, and maybe a second or even third week at camp. But they do need to be cared for and engaged for the remainder of the summer. How can we capitalize on it?

Has anyone ever done a BS Day Camp Program? I would think that at a minimum, the boys would be required to show a commitment to attend Summer camp with their troop, before being eligible for the BS Day Camp Program.

Yes, this is an "Out of the Box" thought. To many of you it might sound like heresy. But, we would be foolish not to pursue the potential that is before us.

As the boys get older, their schedules get more and more crowded. It is a challange to get the boys to one week of summer camp, with sports, summer vacations, potential high adventure, and other related events. Also, our local scout camp runs about 5 weeks for the Boy Scouts, two for Webelos, and one week for NYT or NJLT (I am confused) - it leaves little to no time for any other camps. Just my 2 cents

"The current Day Camp program is a solid, BSA Accredited Cub Scout Day. It is no more, or no less, a Day Care Program than is the CS Day Camp run by your Council."

Is it just me or did he just refer to a scouting day camp program as a Day Care Program. That's what kindercare is for, send your kid there. I really hope you don't think that's what Day Camp is for...

I don't know that a BS Day Camp would be a good solution. If you can generate enough interest then sure why not, as long as you have a constant stream of scouts in the transition between CS and BS, but it seems like there is a period of about a year or two between cub scouts, and active boy scout camping... And then he's old enough to do what he wants, rather than forced into some program for the summer. Once the kid is 14-15 yeah, he goes to camp for a week with his troop, maybe another week or two as a provisional scout. I don't think he needs or wants to be part of some "day care program." Younger scouts it makes sense, but older boys won't be interested.

I find it amazing that your BS camp allows scouts to stay for a full 7 weeks. I've never seen a provisional scout stay more than 3 weeks in a summer.

fotoscout wrote:

"All of our Camp employees have to be 14 years old. For the first few years in BS program the boys can not work as Den Chiefs because of this age restriction."

WHAT???

Give the 11-13 year olds Den Chief training, give them "camperships" (ie, free attendance), and let them be Den Chiefs under supervision of J-Staff and adult staff). Let them attend as youth. Granted, you may have more flowing through because they can't commit to whole summer, but they're getting training and a taste of a POR.

This isn't rocket science.

The Labor Dept. says it is Rocket Science. We cannot hire anyone under 14 and we cannot allow anyone under 14 to "work" at camp. Been there, done that and we got slammed. Cub Scouts max out at 10 if your older than that, you are working. Not my rules.

If we could do that, the problem would simply go away.

JohnKC,

I like your idea of camperships for the underage junior 'soon to be staff', but there's a slight problem I've run into about once a year, that the program might have to deal with pretty regularly. Even as 14 yr olds, there's usually 1 Councilor in Training (CIT) (under paying age staff) every summer that has had... lets call it difficulty realizing that being on staff is more than being a summer long camper with power. I'm not sure how CS Day camps need to work thing (frankly I've never been to one, or worked one), but if camp staff has a record of such problems from scouts who are beginning to blossom in maturity, I really think it could be an issue with new boy scouts who are still working at growing the stem. :-D

-Curtis