Summer Camp in Connecticut!

TO ALL FELLOW SCOUTERS:

I Would like to invite your troop and yourselves to attend summer camp at Edmund D. Strang Scout Reservation which is located in Goshen, Connecticut this summer. This camp is run by the Housatonic Council, however many of its staff come from Connecticut Rivers and Connecticut Yankee councils.

Our first week we are offering a Trail to Eagle Program and is only open to about 30 scouts, we will do Eagle required merit badges as well as prepare the scouts to plan their Eagle projects. For scouts under 1st Class we offer First Class Emphasis which is our goal to work on requirements and help the scout to advance, this seems to be a very popular program with the younger scouts.

Other areas of interest as the aquatic area for recreational swimming, kayaking, canoeing, sail boating, snorkeling, fishing, etc. And you can work on BSA lifeguard as well as the swimming, lifesaving, fishing, canoeing, small boat and rowing merit badges.

At the field sports area you can do many sports related activites inclding soccer, baseball, lacross, rifle, archery, black powder, shotgun and much much more. The merit badges offered her includeRifle Shooting, Shotgun Shooting, Sports, and Archery.

HANDICRAFTS AREA

The merit badges offered her include Basketry, Woodcarving, Woodworking, Leather work, Art, Metalwork, and Indian Lore Merit Badges. Here you can make a plaque for the dinning hall, a patrol flag or a special gift to bring home.

Ecology Conservation Area

The merit badges offered here include Environmental Science, Fish & Wildlife Management, Soil & Water Conservation, Weather, Nature, Insect Study, Bird Study, Geology, Astronomy, Archaeology and Oceanography merit Badges. Take part in conservation projects and nature observation training as well as enjoy nature walks with your troops and/ or compete in various nature realted competitons.

SCOUT CRAFT AREA

The merit badges offered her include Camping, Cooking, First Aid, Hiking, Orienteeering, Pioneering, Backpacking and Wilderness Survival Merit Badges. You can complete the requirements for Tote'n Chip, Paul Bunyan, and Fire'n Chip certification. As well as enjoy building catapultes and compete in many events such as those on the obstacle course.

HEALTH LODGE

The merit badges offered here include First Aid and Emergency Preparedness as well as CPR and First Aid certification.

OTHER AWESOME EVENTS:

There are dances every week to the girls camps which are located nearby, Mohawk Girls camp in Litchfield and another camp.

Tubing down the Housatonic River and BMX bike trecs are sure to be a time of a lifetime.

VENTURING

The are special Venturing programs avaliable, please email either Tom Transue or Steve McEwan for more information.(SEE BELOW EMAILS)

Summer Camp Schedule:

Week 1- July 3-9

Week 2- July 10-16

Week 3- July 17-23

Week 4- July 24-30

WEBLOS WEEK- July 31- Aug 6

To learn more about Edmund D. Strang Scout Reservation and the programs the will be offered at summer camp please visit:

http://www.housatonicbsa.org/campforms/Strang%20Reservation/Welcome%20to%20Strang.htm

Or call: (203) 734-3329

Or even email a few key people that help run the camp:

Summer Camp Director Tom Transue: eusnart@comcast.net

Housatonic Council Scout Executive Steve McEwan: smcewan@bsamail.org

Thank you Judy. If you or your troop would like we do offer 4 sessions by week, you can choose to have 4 of your troop members come to camp as a unit and be placed in a camp with another unit, but work entirely different. I think it would be a great experience for members of their troop to experience both camps, so please ring this by your scoutmaster and if he was any questions, have him email me: CobraCrusade@yahoo.com

Or to email the people on the previous message.

Thanks for your support,

CTBoyScout101

CTBoyScout101,

At my son's next troop meeting I will tell his SM about this & give him your e-mail addy & the site link. I'll e-mail it to him also but I think he might still be having computer problems! Take care & have a great day!

Judy

Thanks alot Judy and I hope to see your son and his troop this summer at camp strang, also, please give him the week schedule which is located above or you can also print out the camp information packet which is now located on that website!

-CTBoyScout101

Hi Judy,

Before recommending an out-of-council camp to your new troop, you should look to your in-Council Camp first. Baiting Hollow Scout Camp is the equal of any camp in the system, and far superior to many. Furthermore, the Scouts at Baiting Hollow are the Scouts that your son has, and will, grow up with should he choose to stay in the program and be involved and active with OA, District and Council activities.

Try to remember that this is YOUR camp and it is the camp that your son will remember as HIS camp. The local camp is the place where a boy has the real opportunity to contribute. It is not just a place where he spent a week or two during the summer. From service projects, to staffing opportunities, this is the camp location that your son should associate with Scouting as he matures. This is the camp location where his greatest potential for personal growth exists, and, over time, the location where lifelong friendships will be forged.

Too often, leaders are too eager to go out of council. We all have an obligation to support our local camps. Without our support the local camps will simply go away. The local camp supports Cub Scout events, Camporees, Venturing Activities, Training, OA activities, various other District and Council activities, as well as a robust summer program of Cub Scout Camps, Boy Scout Camp and Family Camps. Not to mention the year round camping opportunities that Baiting Hollow offers to the Council. This year Baiting Hollow was also selected for the Regional OA Conclave.

This is not to say that there is no merit in doing your summer camp at an out-of-council camp. In fact there is great appeal and much to be gained by going to other camps. But you and your troop should, as should all troops, recognize where their home is and return to the local camp at least every two or three years.

Yes, in some cases there are programmatic issues that keep Scouts and Scouters away from their local camps, but not in this case! Your local camp, Baiting Hollow Scout Camp, is a great camp with much to offer!!

Good Point. Judy I agree that your son should experience a week at your camp, but also experience one that is out of council because it allows the boy to grow and become more independent which the child will need when going out into the real world. So ask the scoutmaster and see what he wants to do, he may decide not to go as a troop, but allow boys from within the troop stil have the opportunity to experience camp strang!

CTBoyScout101

Fotoscout,

I'm still learning about the Boy Scout program since coming over from Cubs. Whomever I've spoken to it seems that there sons go away for a week of summer camp outside NY state, but that is only a few troops. I've been to Baiting Hollow with my son as a Webelos I & II & since it was only overnight & one time was for Webelos Woods, obviously the program is different. I'll find out when & where his troop camps.

CTBoyScout101,

I sent the SM the link & he saved it. He said he would look into it for next year. They already have a place for summer camp this year.

Judy

Thanks Judy. You should also see if he can ask the scouts in the troop if they want to go to this camp this summer, they do not have to go as a troop. Also a note to add, you can go one week to that camp and one to camp strang, that is usually what happens at our camp. But, ask the kids in the troop if they want to do an additional summer camp trip this summer, the scoutmaster also may decide that he is not going to go and the boys will still be able to attend and be placed with another troop or if you pick week 1, your son can do trail to eagle which puts him with a troop of all various troops and they work on eagle required merit badges!

CTBoyScout101

So in all Judy, I recommend that your son and fellow troop members go to one week of your councils summer camp and then experience Camp Strang this summer for one week, so during next year he can decide which camp he likes better, gives him the option!

CTBOYSCOUT101