Camp Commissioners

As previously mentioned, I am planning on serving on summer camp staff again this year.

Most likely I will be the/a Camp Commissioner this summer. The primary reasons I will be doing it include: good personal and working relationship with the camp director, considerable Scouting experience, having the time to both go to Camp School and work on staff, and other things.

However, I don't really know much about Commissioners in general or Camp Commissioners in particular. I do know the basic job descriptions for both, but I don't really know what they should be doing in a hands on sense.

Further, since I will be sent off to Camp School and trained, that means I will be expected to run the Commissioner corps at camp. The hope is to have several people working in the commissioner corps every week.

So, I will start by asking everyone what their thoughts on Camp Commissioners are. Primarily this first part is addressed to people who have been unit leaders at camp or otherwise been in positions to work with or observe Camp Commissioners.

What do unit leaders need from Camp Commissioners?

What do you want the Camp Commissioner to do for you?

What is the most effective thing you have seen a Commissioner do?

What services should the commissioner corps offer you at camp?

What was the least effective thing you have seen a Commissioner do?

In what ways can the Camp Commissioner do to much? Or, put another way, when should the commissioner leave the unit and leaders alone?

Any other thoughts from the unit and unit leaders perspective on how to make the commissioner corps at camp work and on how the Camp Commissioner can enhance the camp program would be appreciated.

The second area of concern I address to those with experience as Camp Commissioners, in other Commissioner positions, and in senior staff positions at camp (camp director, ranger, program directer).

What have you found to be the best number of commissioners per unit?

Who are the best prospective recruits to be Camp Commissioners?

What are some good strategies for recruiting Camp Commissioners?

How should commissioner services be organized at camp?

What programs or services should the commissioners offer?

What is a good idea for camp commissioners not usually covered in training?

What is something for camp commissioners to avoid not usually covered in training?

Any other thoughts you could offer would be great. I know camp school will offer a great deal of information, the problem is I won't be going to camp school until the shortly before camp starts, so I really won't have much time to do much thinking or planning after returning. Therefore, I would like to get a bit of a head start. (I will try and get my hands on some materials and manuals ahead of time, but some suggestions on what would be most useful would help. Also, if any of the Unit Commissioner or other Commissioner training and materials would be helpful, I would appreciate a heads up on that.)

PE,

Thank you for sharing your excitement over your appointment with us. You will do well, especially with your positive attitude and high expectations. Camp School will be a benefit. Keep good notes about your experience and return with stories and insights for the Fall. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

FB

I'm in a relatively young unit, both in terms of time organized and in terms of leader experience with our primary Council camp.

The commissioners at camp who gave us the greatest help are those who know every nook and cranny of their council camp ... they can help the SM, the SPL, and the PLC find additional opportunities for fun and growth. Doesn't matter if it's a hike, an overnight out of the main camp, or even a midnight swim ... the commish can find it and can help the SPL coordinate with the Camp Director and PD.

I thank the two of you for your replies. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to post it.

Come on, there are surely some more of you with some ideas about this.

Who knows, something you suggest could even wind up making camp better for a unit and its Scouts.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)