I am planning on returning to work on camp staff again this year.

As with just about every other Scouting thing I do, if there is something related to OA going on, I am going to have a hand in it.

This year that will certainly be true, since I am the Lodge Adviser.

I am wondering if anyone has any new ideas for how to make the OA an affective and integral part of the camp program.

We have in the past had a weekly meeting at camp, but this has mostly been a business meeting to cover things related to the OA call out later in the week. I would like to make this into something more like a fellowship. Suggestions on that would be appreciated.

We also have a call out ceremony on parents night after the camp fire. We have a pretty good ceremony, but suggestions are always welcome.

What else have you seen OA do at camp that seemed to be a good idea?

Have you ever seen the OA get involved in promoting service and conservation projects while at camp? How was it done and how well did it work?

Have you seen OA become involved in other parts of the camp program? If so what ways seemed to work well?

Your thoughts would be welcome and appreciated. I know we have many good ideas around here, but we certainly don't have a monopoly on good ideas. There is no sense reinventing the wheel if someone else has thought of and perfected something.

Proud Eagle,

Our Troop has been attending an out of council camp for years. Part of why it's so much better than our own council's camp, are the many special events it has during the week at summer camp. One of the events, is an OA social. All brothers are invited, and there are cookies, ice cream, and bug juice served. This camp attracts many out of council Troops, so many lodges are represented, with much fellowshipping. This adds to the mystique of the OA. An event only OA members can attend. OOOOOoooooo. Ahhhhhhhh. Special. Very Special.........

sst3rd

I work at a summer camp and am closely associated with the OA at camp. We have recentl started doing Brotherhood ceremonies during summer camp. People would signup before camp and would go through questioning on Monday, then wed have the ceremony on tuesday. This is a good chance to get the old guys and the unsure youngins to get their brotherhood, they dont have to spend a seperate weekend but just go while at camp. On Wensday we have the dance team perform for the parents campfire and then the evening is concluded with a call out ceremony. Thursday, we do a medicine bowl which is a great OA social. o also on wensday at the parent campfire we ask that all arowmen wear their sashes to the campfire. hope these ideas help

One thing the Camp we go to started doing a few years back was an "Introduction to the OA". Seems what happens is that the OA isnt really talked about alot in the troops and the only time its really the focus of a troop meeting is OA election night and the explanation of the OA's purpose and goals is quite dependent on the election team which is not always on the highest caliber, they try hard, they just dont always give the best explnation of the OA. On monday night all "first year campers" are invited to attend an OA Campfire where the story of the OA is told by a member in regalia back lit by a huge fire. The boys learn about the OA and what its about and then on wednesday, when the call out is done, the new guys have an idea about whats going on and they want to learn more.

Back in the good old days we had supper in the Dining hall, followed by the Flag and tap out. Followed by a really good camp fire. Then we built a lake (If built is the right term??) Now parents arrive with covered dishes, no one or very few troops eat in the dining hall. We have a Anything that floats race, the rules change from year to year and sometimes from week to week. Seems to me we have a lot of rules when the grand prize is a watermelon. Then we have a Flag ceremony, followed by a parade of flags back to the lake.

Flaming arrows are shot across the lake, a big drum is given a work out. I have never worked out what the words of the chant are? I think it has something to do with Micky Mouse- But I can't swear to it. Then there is the tap out. Yes we still tap.

There is in camp a OA Camp Chief, for the past few years the Lodge Chief has been on camp staff, so that has worked out well. If he wasn't another OA member would be the Camp Chief. During the week each troop is visited by OA people, the Brotherhood Committee tries to get people to sign up for brotherhood.

While there are a lot of OA members in camp, troops under take to do conservation or service projects as troops. These projects come from the camp ranger and really are not seen as being OA projects.

In fact other than these visits from the OA guys and the tap out the OA is not really a part of summer camp. The Scouts don't see it as being an OA activity. I do like the idea of a OA social, but I'm not sure what the Scoutmasters would think?

Eamonn.